Surface Pro 3 Slow WiFi - 72Mbps Max (driver)

I have an Apple Airport Extreme 802.11ac wireless router at home and am only connecting at a max of speed of 72Mbps (usually closer to 11Mbps if I'm more than 20 feet away from the WAP). I have two other 802.11ac laptops at home (Samsung AB9+ and rMBP) and my two other computers are connecting up at 800Mbps+ and pulling down the same on Internet speed tests; yes, I have real GigE connectivity. Is anyone else having these problems?

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2019 Views 33,276 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am also still having the slow WIFI problem.  I am getting a consistent 3 Mbps download speed.  Other devices are getting 50+ Mbps download  My router is Linksys E1500 Type-N 2.4 Ghz.  I do not have 5 Ghz type N router or AC router.  I tried all solutions on the forums (here and on surfaceforums.net) including upgrading my router firmware.

I am also hoping for a driver update that will resolve my problem.  If not I will return the SP3 before the warranty expires.

I am also considering upgrading my router to WRT1900AC.

I also wish Microsoft would confirm if they reproduced the problem (slow WIFI connection to 2.4 Ghz type N router)

Thanks,

Ted

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I ended up returning my SP3 since my return window was expiring.  If they fix it I will try it again though.  the WRT1900AC works beautiful with ANY device so it is OK and when they fix the Surface Pro 3 it should be fine as well.  

I was able to revert back the driver on the SP3 and then it would work but only for a few hours, after a few hours somehow (without rebooting) the problem kept coming back, even with Windows Updates off, which is crazy to have to do anyway.

Without a solid Wireless driver, the Surface Pro 3 is an expensive brick.  My $200 Nexus 7 tablet has a solid AC WiFi card, why can't the $1,500 Surface Pro 3 have a solid WiFi card? It makes no sense that Microsoft is not acknowledging this problem at least in these forums.

newpop1

Sorry this didn't help.

yep I have not seen where they stated there was a wireless problem as well... other than when I called the surface support team they said there should be an update soon.

if there is not one this week , I am going to call back and complain. and if its not fixed within my BB return policy I will have to return it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

Thank you for sharing your experiences while connecting to 802.11ac access points.  We are working to resolve bandwidth limitations associated to certain access points.

Thanks,

Josh_F

Sorry this didn't help.

Its not just ac routers.  I have a Linksys n dual band router ea4500 and it still has limited connection on both frequencies.

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft Support,

Were you able to reproduce the consistently slow download speed to 2.4 Ghz 802-11n routers.  I have Linksys E1500 problem.  I just need to know if you were able to reproduce the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Ted

Sorry this didn't help.

right its general wireless issue

limited connectivity on wake up

slow wireless speeds on battery 

etc

for the slow wireless on battery its really bad, from what I can tell... while on battery the card is transmitting at the lowest mandatory (required) data rate and for 802.11a that's 6mbps. I know others here that's for saving battery but that's just wrong... wireless has other built in features to save battery like ps-poll etc... for example ipad etc don't lower their rate (much) while on battery... 

for 1 thing its really slow, and for the big one....your hurting the entire RF cell with this!!! at home its not as big of a deal but in the enterprise environments this is REALLY BAD!!! dont forget that RF is shard medium... if you have 20 clients tx at lets say 54mb and 1 client at 6mb... your slowing down the entire RF cell since the slow client needs more tx air time to tx his data than the ones at 54... 

Sorry this didn't help.

I think it goes beyond AC routers but the main problem manifests itself in the AC router at this time.  At first the connection is OK even with the AC router but over time it degrades.   Eventually the upload speed is so slow that the connection is eventually lost and "Limited" appears in the WiFi icon.

The only way to solve it is by doing a true shut down or to remove the WiFi driver.  I even had this problem with the Linksys WRT 1900 AC and connecting to the 2.4 Ghz SSID was good at first but after a while (hours), it eventually got very slow or lost the connection.  I was able to connect to my old Dlink router (non AC) and Surface Pro 3 had no problem for several days.

I am hoping it is not a hardware issue and this can be solved with software, but Microsoft support should be able to reproduce this rather quickly with any of the top AC routers on the market right now.  I don't know how this one slipped by the quality control / testing department given the fact the the Surface Pro 2 and the 1 already had WiFi issues anyway... 

newpop1

Sorry this didn't help.

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 01:28:56 +0000, Josh_F wrote:

|Thank you for sharing your experiences while connecting to 802.11ac access
points.  We are working to resolve bandwidth limitations associated to certain
access points.

Josh, this is more than just AC routers.

Some folks with slower Internet connections may not notice any differences.

One way to check is file transfer between two computers. Or look at upload
speeds.

While there are many variables, the issue is there.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Barb

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Barb's Connected World Blog Reader Windows 8 App -  

Windows and Surface Community Reader Windows 8 App

Please mark as answered if this answers your question

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

Thank you for sharing your experiences while connecting to 802.11ac access points.  We are working to resolve bandwidth limitations associated to certain access points.

Thanks,

Josh_F

Josh,

Please, this is more than just AC routers. I have it on my dual band N E4500 Linksys router.

Thanks,

Grant

Sorry this didn't help.