Surface Pro 3 Slow WiFi - 72Mbps Max (driver)

I have an Apple Airport Extreme 802.11ac wireless router at home and am only connecting at a max of speed of 72Mbps (usually closer to 11Mbps if I'm more than 20 feet away from the WAP). I have two other 802.11ac laptops at home (Samsung AB9+ and rMBP) and my two other computers are connecting up at 800Mbps+ and pulling down the same on Internet speed tests; yes, I have real GigE connectivity. Is anyone else having these problems?

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2019 Views 33,088 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

I'm having pretty much the exact same problem as the original poster in this thread.

I'm using an Apple 802.11ac base station.  My MacBook Pro gets 800+mbps.  The Surface Pro sitting right next to it struggles to get above 11mbps.

I have tried the following from this thread:

- Rolling back to the driver from April (no effect)

- Uninstalling the drivers for AC Adapter, Battery, and Marvell and allowing the SP3 to reinstall them on restart (no effect)

- I ran Windows Update today and my Marvell driver updated to 6/3/2014.  I am not sure if this is the firmware update people are speaking about or not, but it has not had any noticeable effect.

- Disabling and re-enabling the Marvell driver many times

- Disconnecting and forgetting the network many times

- Restarting many times

Nothing so far has helped.  It's obviously not a problem with the router, since the MacBook Pro is doing just fine.

Just wanted to add a "me too" and hope someone is paying attention.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

I'm having pretty much the exact same problem as the original poster in this thread.

I'm using an Apple 802.11ac base station.  My MacBook Pro gets 800+mbps.  The Surface Pro sitting right next to it struggles to get above 11mbps.

I have tried the following from this thread:

- Rolling back to the driver from April (no effect)

- Uninstalling the drivers for AC Adapter, Battery, and Marvell and allowing the SP3 to reinstall them on restart (no effect)

- I ran Windows Update today and my Marvell driver updated to 6/3/2014.  I am not sure if this is the firmware update people are speaking about or not, but it has not had any noticeable effect.

- Disabling and re-enabling the Marvell driver many times

- Disconnecting and forgetting the network many times

- Restarting many times

Nothing so far has helped.  It's obviously not a problem with the router, since the MacBook Pro is doing just fine.

Just wanted to add a "me too" and hope someone is paying attention.

Have you tried the Hyper-V trick?  Enable hyper-v, reboot then change wireless to max when on battery in your power profile, apply settings.  Finally, disable hyper-v and reboot.  This worked for me and others.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think the biggest disappointment is that even when the adapter is "working" it is poor.    Steam in home streaming on wireless? forget about it on the surface pro 3 as it is right now.  Works on every other device in my house on wifi that can run steam.

It runs smooth then lags 4 seconds then runs smooth for 10 then lags for 4 seconds. It is like the thing is looking for excuses to stop working hard.

Plugged into the overpriced gigabit adapter it is perfect of course.

Sorry this didn't help.

Still no firmware update here...

Finally got the firmware update yesterday.

No hard numbers but my battery life seems better.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tested over the weekend and the Wi-Fi seems to be a bit more stable.  Instead of losing the Wi-Fi connection every hour before, now it only loses the connection 2-3 times per day.  Still far from acceptable but it is somewhat manageable now.  I am hoping that the July 16th updates will finally fix these Wi-Fi issues though.

I am only connecting to the "N" WiFi SSID of my router for now.  Once the next updates are released I will switch to the AC band and see if they have solved the problems for good.  

Battery life seems to have been improved as well.

newpop1

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Aarodynamics,

On Wednesday, July 16, we will issue our second July update for Surface Pro 3 Wi-Fi. Collectively, these updates address the great majority of customer feedback around Wi-Fi consistency. Specifically, these updates address:

• Limited Connectivity after exiting Connected Standby
  • Limited Connectivity after exiting Hibernate
  • Limited Connectivity during active use

If you are experiencing Wi-Fi connection inconsistency, we strongly recommend that you download and install this update; we have been using this update and have seen an improved experience. But we are not done. We are still very focused on two remaining areas:

• Wi-Fi isn’t available in the Settings charm or under the Connections setting. We are seeing a few reports of Wi-Fi being unavailable, which requires a reboot to resolve.  We don’t have an immediate fix, but we continue to work on this and will have an update as soon as possible.
  • Dropped connections or reduced throughput to certain access points. As mentioned above, the July 16 firmware update will address the majority of Limited Connectivity scenarios. However, there are still fringe scenarios where Limited Connectivity errors are present or network throughput is lower than expected, depending on the network configuration. We anticipate multiple improvements over time.
    • Note: When measuring your network throughput, the most accurate and reliable indicator of network speed is through a third-party speed test like using Speedtest.net, not necessarily through the local network speed indicator reported in Network Connections settings.

We will keep you informed as we continue to make your Surface Pro 3 experience better and better – http://blog.surface.com/2014/04/windows-update-makes-surface-better/.

Thanks for posting in the forums, and reach out to us again with any further questions.

Best Wishes,

Zack_T

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Aarodynamics,

On Wednesday, July 16, we will issue our second July update for Surface Pro 3 Wi-Fi. Collectively, these updates address the great majority of customer feedback around Wi-Fi consistency. Specifically, these updates address:

• Limited Connectivity after exiting Connected Standby
  • Limited Connectivity after exiting Hibernate
  • Limited Connectivity during active use

If you are experiencing Wi-Fi connection inconsistency, we strongly recommend that you download and install this update; we have been using this update and have seen an improved experience. But we are not done. We are still very focused on two remaining areas:

• Wi-Fi isn’t available in the Settings charm or under the Connections setting. We are seeing a few reports of Wi-Fi being unavailable, which requires a reboot to resolve.  We don’t have an immediate fix, but we continue to work on this and will have an update as soon as possible.
  • Dropped connections or reduced throughput to certain access points. As mentioned above, the July 16 firmware update will address the majority of Limited Connectivity scenarios. However, there are still fringe scenarios where Limited Connectivity errors are present or network throughput is lower than expected, depending on the network configuration. We anticipate multiple improvements over time.
    • Note: When measuring your network throughput, the most accurate and reliable indicator of network speed is through a third-party speed test like using Speedtest.net, not necessarily through the local network speed indicator reported in Network Connections settings.

We will keep you informed as we continue to make your Surface Pro 3 experience better and better – http://blog.surface.com/2014/04/windows-update-makes-surface-better/.

Thanks for posting in the forums, and reach out to us again with any further questions.

Best Wishes,

Zack_T

Thanks Zack, I have shared your statement in other forum all about Surface.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/statement-from-ms.9761/

Frank J Garcia (ctitanic)
Surface MVP
http://www.ultramobilepc-tips.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello all

Thank you for your continued patience and feedback.  The out of band update is available, please see This Thread for further details.

Keep the feedback coming.

Best regards

Sorry this didn't help.

Just received and installed the 7/16 update and am reporting in:

Unfortunately, no noticeable difference after update and restart.  WiFi link speed is still maxing out around 72 Mbps from my Surface Pro 3 to my 802.11ac router at full signal strength.

As I mentioned before, that's roughly 10% of the link speed my other ac devices are reporting. Really bad for transfers across my local network.

Sorry, wish I had better news!

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm connecting at 850-900 Mbps, getting file transfer rates of only 10-11MBps, I expected more performance. 

Seems stable now at least.  WRT1900 router

Sorry this didn't help.