Surface Pro 3 i7 processor Version - Wifi Connectivity Issues and others

Machine Details:

Surface Pro 3 - i7 Processor, 256 Gb HDD, 

Preordered it on 05/20/2014. Waited so long for the tablet and this is what I get :(

Similar to the reports from other users, I have had network connection issues with the one day old Surface Pro 3. So, I contacted Answer Desk agent and was asked to install the firmware upgrades which I did. But the problems have compounded after the updates. Here are my issues:

1. Breaking internet connection, and no this is not an issue with internet service, I have checked by connecting to the same wifi network with another dell laptop at the same time. 

2. Internet speed goes to a max of 1Mbps whilst my internet connection  > 50 Mbps. speedtest.net results were a shabby 1.34 Mbps on Surface while it gave me around 60 Mbps on a dell laptop connected to the same wifi network.

3. When I put it for sleep (close the lid) and reopen, it can not find network drive and hence can not connect to internet

4. When running only chrome and skype, with a 7% CPU usage and 34% RAM usage, it emits very high fan noise thus disturbing my skype call. Trust me when I say this, its not a minute level of noise. The problem is compounded by the fact that microphone is close to the fan slit. I can understand if its a CPU intensive process like a high end game, but come one, Skype with 7% CPU usage! Whats the point of an i7 processor if the system cant support 10% of its power. oh and then there's the over-heating.

5. Online Chat Support:

Chat support worked well yesterday but when I tried to connect to support again, I can not find a link to chat support for surface.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/contact-us/

takes me directly to 

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/contact-us/call-us

And a direct Chat link given by the agent doesnt work either. It shows a page with a blue load ribbon which is on an infinite loop.

These are the error logs in web console.

- Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable) https://sas.css.microsoft.com/SupportAggregatorService/scripts/json2min.js
- Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable) https://sas.css.microsoft.com/SupportAggregatorService/scripts/SasSurface.js
- Invalid App Id: Must be a number or numeric string representing the application id. all.js:54
FB.getLoginStatus() called before calling FB.init(). all.js:54
- Uncaught ReferenceError: ViewModelFactory is not defined

Did they per chance limit Surface chat support, so only those coming from Surface devices are accepted? It could be an issue with my workplace internet settings, but Windows Chat support worked from the same network.

Question Info

Last updated May 30, 2019 Views 5,361 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Re #4: What's your lot/batch # (located on the box)?
@unt1tled

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Jarem,

I do not have the box with me, but I have the serial number if that's of any use?

Sorry this didn't help.

My question is if this is a common problem or not? Will an exchange get me a Surface Pro that works correctly?

We purchased a Surface Pro 3 (i7-256GB) this past Friday to use and evaluate the system for a further project outlay. There are many things to like about the Surface Pro 3, but unfortunately the Wifi device inside the tablet seems to be seriously malfunctioning as you also described.

Our system is repeatedly resetting the connection, losing all connections, and is running at extremely slow transfer rates.

I made a number of screenshots and video showing a laptop wifi status screen and the Surface Pro 3 wifi status screen on either side of a desk. The Surface shows 1.0Mbps, but the laptop (a 2005 Dell Vostro) is experiencing no issues and is running at 130 Mbps.

The test network was a Verizon FiOS setup using the Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I router in 802.11n only mode.

Our Surface Pro 3's lot number/date is 1428.

I realized this could be a minority problem, however, and therefore sent an email to our MS Corporate sales rep, but received no response as of now. I also called MS technical support on the telephone and the woman offered me a REFURBISHED replacement in the mail. I said I would return the product to the MS store before I accepted a refurb Surface for something I bought 3 days ago.

This post is my last resort, before I head to the MS store for an exchange or to simply return it.

Sorry this didn't help.

You have the same lot/no and date as mine, which is also overheating.. refer to this thread.
@unt1tled

Sorry this didn't help.

I am curious.  Did you install any updates, firmware or operating system?  I had experienced the infamous December update for my Pro2 and do not want to go through that experience again.  My Pro3 i7 256gb was fully updated out of the box, except for a small update to Windows 8.1 – which I still have not performed.

And for MV010, did you update before experiencing issues.  I know you were asked to update via your support call, but curious if problem exists due to an earlier updating.

Sorry this didn't help.

Problems existed before but they only increased after the updates.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just purchased an i5 S3 yesterday and am also experiencing slow network perfomance.  I have a 100MBps internet and get close to 20 down on 5ghz and 50 down on 2.4.  All of  my other devices including my M8, mbook air and ipad get at worst 80-90 down on 5ghz.  I ran the numerous updates prior to testing.  I'm using an Asus AC87R router.

Sorry this didn't help.

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 20:30:13 +0000, cdden wrote:

|I just purchased an i5 S3 yesterday and am also experiencing slow network
perfomance.  I have a 100MBps internet and get close to 20 down on 5ghz and 50
down on 2.4.  All of  my other devices including my M8, mbook air and ipad get
at worst 80-90 down on 5ghz.  I ran the numerous updates prior to testing.  I'm
using an Asus AC87R router.

Can you explicitly please set the 5GHz channel to something above 140 and
insure you have separate SSID names for each SSID?

Can you test both plugged in after rebooting and then on battery? Which speed
test server are you using?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Barb

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Barb's Connected World Blog Reader Windows 8 App -  

Please mark as answered if this answers your question

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MV010,

Thank you for contacting the Surface Community. I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us. I am very sorry that you have multiple issues regarding the Surface Pro 3 i7 processor Version. I understand that the WiFi connection keeps dropping, the internet speed slows down, your device can't connect to internet after waking up from sleep, the fan runs loudly when on Skype and Google Chrome with a high CPU usage, and you are having trouble connecting to the support page. I would like to help improve your experience with the new device.

To better assist you, I would like to work with you by focusing on a few problems at a time.

First and foremost, please confirm that you have all Windows updates (as of 8/8/2014, the latest update was released on 7/16/2014). If you do, please check to see if any of them has failed to install.

1. Breaking internet connection

• Are you consistently getting an unstable internet connection?
  • Does this happen after the device wakes from sleep?
  • I see that your laptop is securely connected to the same network with no problem. What do you have to do to get the connection back, or does the connection automatically come back?

2. Internet speed slows down

• Has this always been an issue, or did it start happening after the latest update?
  • I have found some Community threads that you might find helpful. Although they are posted under a different Surface Pro device (Surface Pro 2), it's still worth taking a look at.

- Why am I only getting 46Mbps download speed on my Surface Pro 2?
- Surface Pro 3 WiFi Error with System
- Slow Download Speeds
- surface pro 3 download speed super slow

Please let me know what you are seeing.

Sincerely,
Shiho_P

Sorry this didn't help.

I will chime in and answer your questions.  I just bought the surface pro 3 i7 256GB myself and I am experiencing the same problems.  

-The internet connection speed performance is constantly intermittent.  It will vary from 2mbps to 150mbps running multiple back to back bandwidth tests.  I notice it most frequently exhibits poor performance when coming out of sleep.

-It periodically fails to find the AP.  This happens with multiple manufacturers.

-I attempt to enable/disable Wi-fi.  The AP will then disappear from the list.  The only way to see the AP again is to reboot the Surface.  This happens with multiple manufacturers

-The connection to the AP will degrade to limited connectivity for no reason.  I try to disable/enable the wi-fi adapter and it still shows limited connectivity.  This is only solved with a reboot.

-I am running the latest updates as of 8/8/2014.

I have tried to do the following to resolve the issue.

-Stay up to date with all updates

-Enable/Disable Wi-fi

-Hard Reboot

-Re-install wireless drivers from Device Manager

-Adjust power settings to maximum performance in power options for the wi-fi adapter and PCI Express bus

I cannot believe this supposedly premium device was released with such blatantly obvious bugs.  I also cannot believe that the QA team did not find a significant issue with the wireless adapter prior to the product release.  I hope that Microsoft has a fix really, really soon or I am definitely returning it before my 14 days are up.

Sorry this didn't help.