Specify 2.4 or 5 GHz WiFi bands Selectively on Surface Pro 3

Technical Level : Basic

Summary
On January 15, 2015, Microsoft released a package of drivers to Windows Update that includes an updated Marvell WiFi driver for the Surface Pro 3. If you are one of the folks that has been trying to resolve issues of connecting to 2.4GHz instead of 5 GHz on your dual band router, this new driver includes settings to fine tune your connectivity preferences.
Details

First, verify that you have Driver Version 15.68.3073.151 or newer:

1.  Type the words device manager on the Start Screen/search and then open device manager.
  2.  Expand Network adapters
  3.  Right Click or tap and hold the Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller and select Properties
  4.  Open the Driver tab and verify the version

Specify the band:

By default, the Band is set to Auto in the Value field. Access the dropdown list and select 5GHz if you want to connect to only the 5GHz band. Note that the 5GHz band is the one that provides the 802.11ac speeds. You can also specify 2.4GHz only.

Important: If you change locations and have specified a setting other than Auto, you should change the setting back to Auto to insure connectivity “on the road”. This is especially important when using public WiFi which normally uses the 2.4GHz band.

Forum Article Info

Last updated November 11, 2019 Views 27,449 Applies to:
When can we expect better roaming/decisions in the Marvell driver?  Other WiFi drivers will use 5GHz 11ac when the same SSID is present on both bands, or at least give you the ability to "prefer" 5GHz over 2.4GHz.  Turning off 2.4GHz completely is a poor workaround.
When can we expect better roaming/decisions in the Marvell driver?  Other WiFi drivers will use 5GHz 11ac when the same SSID is present on both bands, or at least give you the ability to "prefer" 5GHz over 2.4GHz.  Turning off 2.4GHz completely is a poor workaround.

Same problem here with our University wifi.

Cause has to do with roaming. I've your connected to the 2.4 because youre roaming, it doesn't get you bac up the 5.ghz until you disconnect and connect the wifi again.

Driver should work like for instance the intel centrino's N6205.

Allowed band b,g,a,n and prefered 5Ghz.

Eric

yes, need a better solution for this ... wifi is only connecting to 2.5GHz  band unless forced to as shown above. 

I couldn't agree more wit @TashHepting, @PychoDad-It and @Yeshwanth Reddy.  There needs to be the ability to prefer 5Ghz over 2.4Gh at the driver level.

Surface Pro 3, Windows Insider Fast Ring
Lumia 640, AT&T US; Windows Insider 10 build 14295

Set to auto, but will not connect to 5G.

Set it to 5G only and still tries 2.4 so disconnected remember, still no 5G and gives up leaving no connection.. [shows both available and pw same].

Windows troubleshooter cant fix wifi [ethernet wired prompt only]. Status showing connected but 'not connected' when selected for modern interface page. Same thing, asks for cable only from troubleshoot button.

Did network reset. Rebooted. No difference. No connection.

Surface Pro 4 with 4GB ram new 2017.

Driver mrvlpcie8897.sys v.15.68.9112.23

Note: also using hyper-v feature Win 10 pro 1703 with a dock which is not normally at this location so wired is no option. No hyper-v showing any nic. Just Wifi and a Bluetooth.

DHCP and ipv6 enabled.

Same EXACT issue.  UpVote.  This needs attention., ATLEAST Fix the 5ghz connection.
Jae
This is a pretty poor solution really. I have an office with users who don't have access to control panel and a heavily saturated 2.4ghz environment. Tried locking them to 5GHZ and as soon as they're without access to 2.4Ghz I'm getting complaints. WHy is there no options to "prefer" 5ghz ?  

I would love to see a "prefer 5GHz" option. Please use the Feedback Hub App to
file this as a suggestion. Then share the link here in a reply so that others
can upvote it.

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Done, Thank you very much for the prompt reply Barb.

https://aka.ms/AA63734