Surface Pro 3: scrolling issues in long documents

In any large text document I cannot scroll through the document using two-finger swipe. I also cannot scroll through by swiping on the screen; instead, the screen automatically selects text when I swipe. When the document is not very large, both of these features work fine. This is greatly lowering the efficiency of use of my surface pro 3 as I am a writer and bought this primarily to be able to work on writing books on the go. To be unable to easily swipe through large documents is turning out to be a huge inconvenience. This problem shows up in Word and even in Scrivener. As soon as the document gets too long, swiping malfunctions. Anyone else seeing this problem? Any fix?

Thanks,

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Thank you very much for your contribution to the Surface Community. I apologize for the inconvenience, and I fully understand your frustration when you cannot scroll the document, especially when it's for your work. I'd love to help you get this issue resolved.

• First and foremost, do you have all Windows updates?
  • When did this issue start appearing?
  • Is this app specific, or happens whenever a document becomes large? I understand that you are experiencing the issue on Word and Scrivener - does this happen on a web browser, Notepad, etc. (wherever text is), as well?
  • Are you using a Cover (Type Cover/Touch Cover/Power Cover)? If so, does the touchpad function properly?
  • If this is app/program specific, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling them?

Please let me know. Hope to hear from you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Shiho_P,

I do have all of the Windows updates. This issue has been present since I bought the SP3. I just copied and pasted a book into Notepad and found that the scrolling works fine there. The scrolling also works fine in both Scrivener and Word in smaller documents. Up to around 40-50 pages or so the scrolling is fine. In a document with 100+ pages the scrolling does not work and I am forced to use page-up/page-down so navigate through the document or the sidebar scrolling. Two finger scrolling or swiping the screen does not work. I have not uninstall/reinstalled Word and Scrivener yet. I will try that this evening.

Thanks,

Anthony

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for your answers.

I understand that you have no problem with Notepad, and Scrivener and Word are working fine as long as they are smaller documents. I have tried reproducing the issue myself, but Word worked fine and I was able to scroll through 100+ pages.

When two finger scrolling or swiping on the screen stop working, are you able to use the touchpad on the Cover to navigate?
As suggested in my previous response, please let me know the results after uninstalling and reinstalling Scrivener and Word.

Let me know your findings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like my reply from last week didn't post for some reason. I uninstalled and reinstalled both Word and Scrivener. I'm still having the same problem with Word. If I try to scroll by using two-finger swipe on the touchpad it doesn't work, and if I try to scroll by swiping the screen it automatically selects text instead of scrolling. However, in Scrivener the two-finger swipe on the touchpad works now. Scrivener still has the same problem as Word when I try to scroll by swiping on the screen.

Thanks for your suggestion, at least Scrivener is somewhat more usable now. Any other suggestions as to how I can fix Word? It's the 2007 Home and Student version.

Thanks,

Anthony

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This seems to be some systemic problem that doesn't just affect Surface Pro. I just purchased an expensive HP laptop and it has the same problem in that it will not scroll for large documents. As an experiment, I open a large document in Word and try to scroll as soon as the first page is displayed. Scrolling works until the amount of the loaded document reaches some threshold and then it stops. None of the support people from MS or HP seem to have any idea what might be causing this.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 31, 2022 Views 800 Applies to: