Surface Pro 3: Internal clock stops when the battery dies

Is there a separate internal battery for the internal clock in the SP3 running Windows 8.1? When the unit runs out of battery power and I don't notice (for example, the battery completely drains while in standby) when I plug the unit back in the clock still reads from when I last used it rather than the current time.

Is that normal?

Thanks!

Carlos

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2019 Views 17,056 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Carlos,

On behalf of the Microsoft Community, we thank you for taking the time to reach out and consult this issue. I gather from your post that after an unexpected shutdown the clock on your Surface Pro 3 won’t update automatically as it should. This is indeed irregular behavior, and as such, I understand your concern. I will do my best to help and clarify your doubts!

Please check the following:

• Do you have all and latest Windows updates installed? This is very important, Please verify you do.
  • Does a full shut down and start allow the clock to return to accurate local time?  Have you tried adjusting the time manually?
  • What happens if you do not set the time to set automatically?  Does your manual correction of the time stay set?
  • Swipe for Charms> Settings> Change PC settings> Time and language> Date and time> Set time automatically> Off
  • Do you use any other Windows 8.x devices with the Microsoft account associated to Surface?
  • Try un-syncing the OneDrive settings: Swipe for Charms> Settings> Change PC settings> OneDrive> Sync settings> Sync your settings on this PC> Off

Additionally, please make sure that you have checked the box next to: "Synchronize with an Internet time server". Here is how:

1. From the Desktop menu select the time and date at the bottom right corner.
  2. Tap on Change date and time settings...
  3. Select the "Internet Time" tab.
  4. Select Change Settings.
  5. Check the box next to "Synchronize with an Internet time server".
  6. Select Update now.
  7. Then select OK and OK.
  8. You can also try a different server by synchronizing it with the time.nist.gov server (instead of time.windows.com) and then select Update now.

• As a last step, try holding down the "Volume UP" and the "Power Button" at the same time for about 15 to 20 seconds.  It should do a reboot and if no activity, release and 'click' the power button one time. 

If the issue persists after the previous steps, please consider performing a Refresh as shown in the article below:

We hope these steps prove useful! Keep us posted!

We are always here to help!

Best Wishes,

Mar T.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi Carlos & Woodg,

I appreciate your comments and I can certainly understand the confusion. Please let me clarify my previous comment:

The Surface Pro 3 includes built-in functionality to prevent incorrect system times when the main battery is depleted.  If the troubleshooting I provided on Aug 16, 2014 fails to address the system time inconsistencies, please reach out to our Surface Assisted Support.

Any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to visit the Community!

Best Wishes,

Mar T.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.