Question

Surface Pro 3 with LGC LGC Battery Degradation Issue - Post 8/29/2016 Update

ashtaron14 asked on
Split from this thread.

It was suggested that I open a new thread for this issue that I am having.

Since the Win 10 Anniversary update, I was not able to turn on my Surface Pro 3 i7 512GB with LGC LGC Battery without having it plugged in with the power supply or docking (I own a total of Three Surface Pro 3 Docks at home and 2 offices). It always said "82%, Plugged in, Not Charging", and would always instantly turn off once I pulled off the power supply tab.

I had spoke with a Technical Agent online, had my Pro 3 remote accessed, did all the proposed solutions, and even had a call from Bellevue, WA (I live in Hong Kong) before I found out that it was a software issue as stated by Microsoft.

With Auto Update turned on, I was notified that I should restart my Pro 3 this morning while I was on the docking station. I was happy that this issue was going to be resolved, but now I am disappointed that this firmware update did nothing for my Pro 3.

I'm hoping that someone out there has some suggestions.

Thank You.

Attachment

60 people had this question

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
Greg [MSFT] replied on

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your patience while we identified a fix for this issue, where the full charge capacity of the battery is misreported to the operating system and device firmware. We have now completed our testing of an update and it has passed our quality assurance process.

The update, “System Firmware Update - 11/7/2016”, is now available to install from Windows Update.

Before installing this update, ensure that your Surface Pro 3 is plugged directly in to AC power using the standard AC power adapter (do not use the Surface Docking Station), disconnect any USB devices or external monitors, and check that Windows shows a 40% charge or greater when you hover over the icon in the taskbar before you begin.

Once you install the update, please select Restart now (do not shutdown). After your Surface restarts, please manually restart it a second time to complete the process. For more information, please see our Surface Pro 3 Battery FAQ article.

If you’re having trouble charging your Surface, you get a low-battery error, or your Surface turns off when you unplug it, the steps in our Surface battery won’t charge article can help you pinpoint the problem. Should you need any further assistance, please contact us

Thanks again.

Greg

Updated 11/8/2016

Microsoft Surface Team
surface.com/support
15 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress