Question

Q: Surface Pro 2 Bluetooth Mouse Lag

To whoever can help,

My Bluetooth Mouse is SUPER laggy at certain moments, and from what I've noticed it's whenever I'm using my WiFi intensely (downloading games, YouTube HD buffering). I was told by someone from Surface Pro support that this is probably a driver problem considering WiFi and Bluetooth come from the same hardware part or something like that. My question is CAN THIS BE FIXED, and if so, how and when? Because if it can't, then I'm returning my Surface Pro 2.

Also, if anyone has a way around this, please let me know. Thank you!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Greetings Patsimeon,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Are you using WiFi on a Wireless G or Wireless N network? If it is N, are you on 2.4 or 5 GHz ?
Do you have all Windows Updates installed?
Thank you for posting,

Steven B

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have all the Windows updates. My WiFi is 2.4GHz, so I know it's interfering with the Bluetooth. I didn't have this problem on my previous laptop though, which was a Macbook Pro from 2010. I'd like to believe that my surface can do better than my older Macbook.

Would this problem be nonexistent if I use the Surface-specific mouse arc touch mouse? My current mouse is Apple's magic mouse. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings Patsimeon,

I'd suggest trying with another mouse to see if the issue continues.
Thank you for posting,

Steven B

Sorry this didn't help.

patsimeon

This problem will exist regardless of mouse.  I've tried several, happens on each one. I also use a BT Keyboard.  Same thing.  This was a nagging problem in 8.1 Preview that was helped with a surface driver update, but not resolved completely.  Preview was also nagged by Blue screen issues involving multiple BT devices connected concurrently.  Moving forward I would think a driver update will indeed fix this issue, or at least make it better.

NOTE:  I'm not sure if Microsoft is 100% behind BT devices.  You may recall a recently added Sculpt keyboard was released, not with BT but rather with Wireless.  Microsoft's response to this was the consistency of the wireless program over the BT one... and did mention lag.  Perhaps the 2 are not related.  /But with the Surface platform and lack of USB ports, I find BT to be a lifesaver..... if it worked perfect.

I'm Phil..
Google Pixel 2XL
Apple iPhone X
Surface Book 16gb
Surface Pro 4 16gb
Some one help you out? Tell them with a Helpful Vote!

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to add a data point - I have noticed the exact same problem, but it also happens with a Logitech Unifying wireless mouse as well as a Bluetooth mouse. And the problem does not seem to go away when WiFi activity ceases; the only way to fix it (temporarily) is to reboot. Also, I use a 5GHz WiFi so it's not a WiFi signal interference issue. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have unfortunately the same problem.

Surface Pro 2, tested on Wifi 2.4G and 5G, and same problem once Bluetooth device(s) are on.
My bluetooth devices: Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 5000, and Microsoft Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000.

Performance drops to 25% once any of these bluetooth devices are on. The moment I switch them off, instant increase of speed back to 100%.

Sincerely hope Microsoft can make a fix for this, as this is actually a malfunction :(

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. Appears to affect the original surface pro as well per this thread http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro-surfdevice/bluetooth-mouse-lag/41413687-fbf8-4018-8b99-9c403f504e12?msgId=13728e7d-886b-4520-ac05-71236a1c36e2&page=1&tm=1386131903652

Issue occurs whenever the surface pro 2 is using a lot of network bandwidth. Switching to a 5ghz network does not help. Lag persists with different bluetooth mice (tested Microsoft Wedge Touch and Razr Orochi). None of these mice are or have ever been laggy when connected to other devices in the same network environment. This is a seriously annoying defect with the surface pro (both 1 and 2 apparently) and needs more attention! It frustrates me as a customer to buy a premium device only to have basic peripherals malfunction.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the Samsung ser 7 slate win8.1 pro 64GB and previously thought it a good idea to upgrade to the surface2 pro 128GB as the portability of such a system for me is essential ( I live in Dubai and was traveling to the US on a business trip and you cant buy the surface pro 2 in Dubai) Anyway the reason I'm telling you this is that there are 2 major flaws with the surface 2

1. The mouse lagging and disconnecting whenever it feels like it (strange the keyboard never disconnects?)
  2. The micro SD disconnecting every now and then for no apparent reason. Which means I dare not store sensitive information on the SD card)

I'm using the same wedge mouse / Microsoft keyboard and Micro SD Card  as I did with the slate of which never had these issues at all.

Its got to such an annoying stage now that I'm seriously thinking of going back to the slate and ditching the surface pro 2, although obviously its not something I want to do after shelling out 1,500 U$D.

Come on Microsoft do something about it!

Surface Pro 4

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have this issue with my Surface Pro (1).
I like to stream music from Pandora to my Bluetooth speakers. Since updating to Windows 8.1 I just can't. The interference between the WiFi and Bluetooth running together makes this impossible.
I can do this on my Andorid PHONE Microsoft... I should be able to do this with my Surface.
Not happy about (losing) this functionality with the upgrade to 8.1.

Sorry this didn't help.

I luckily got mine refunded. So glad I don't have to put up with such annoyances. Good luck to everyone else. I'm gonna try another brands.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 8,116 Last updated: May 18, 2018 Applies to: