Surface Pro 2 - Wifi adaptor gets disabled post firmware update

so i just finished reading about the new firmware update and though ok, will update to that.

installed the update and now my wireless adaptor is disabled, and windows can't fix the issue.

So I have reset the surface back to factory defaults and it fixed it. 

Then the new firmware came out with the improved wifi and i thought perfect, this would correct my issue.

so i updated, and again disabled wifi adaptor.

this is beyond stupid. tried requesting a call from microsoft support but i get as far as explaining the issue before the page dies.

no one else here has had this issue with the 2 range.

I am resetting the device again but this is crazy, I got it day one and it wont work if i update it. 

please help
Answer
Answer
Greetings Luke,

Once you take the update, try the following:

1. Go to the Desktop
2. Swipe from the right
3. Touch Settings
4. Touch Control Panel
5. Touch Device Manager
6. Open the Network Adapters
7. Right click on the Marvell Avastar 350N Wireless Network Controller
8. Touch Uninstall
9. Do not check the box
10. Click on OK
11. Restart your Surface.

Once your Surface has restarted, the Marvell driver will be reinstalled. If your Wireless Icon in the Task Bar is still showing up with the red icon with the white x in it, please let me know.
Thank you for posting,

Steven B

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Luke. I experienced the same problem when I installed the firmware update on my SP2, and I also performed a factory reset twice before finding a solution.

Now, if this solution works for you, you'll want to kick yourself ... just like I did.

1. Reset device to factory settings (this may not be necessary, but these are the steps I took to resolve the issue).

2. Once the device has rebooted, go directly to Windows Updates and install all available updates (including the latest firmware update).

-  During the update process do not perform any other tasks.

3. As part of the update process, the device will ask to be rebooted. Reboot the device.

4. When the device has rebooted, your wireless adapter should now be missing.

5. Now, simply restart the device again. Your wireless adapter should now reappear.

It was as simple as that for me.

Unfortunately, I jumped to the conclusion that there was a serious problem with the firmware update and went straight to a reset every other time I'd tried it without performing an additional reboot (which is crazy because on any other PC the first thing I would have done is rebooted it and then, if all else failed, done a restore).

I know it sounds like such a simple solution but it worked for me. Please follow all steps, exactly as described, and then let us know if it's now working.

EDIT: Just to reiterate ... do not do anything else after the update other than reboot. You do not need to uninstall the adapter from the Device Manager.

If you follow the steps above exactly as they're described this should resolve your problem.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 18, 2020 Views 17,758 Applies to: