Surface Pro 2 Charger causing a spark.

Hello everyone,

I have issues with my charger. It wasn't charging immediately and I had to play around with it for it to charge. I thought at first that it was an internal issue and that I had to bring it to a Microsoft Store. But just now, I charged my Surface and I heard a little sparkling noise and it started to smell like burnt dust. When I looked down, I noticed a sparking electricity coming out of the wire near the actual block. I unplugged the device and I notice that the wire was burned.

I am grateful that this did not happen when I was asleep, but I wanted to know if it happened to anyone. I live in Montreal, Canada and I don't have any Microsoft Store nearby. I would have to go to Toronto which is at least a 6 hour drive. I am currently waiting in line to speak to someone from Microsoft. I am quite sure I can have my charger replaced, but I wanted to know what would you have done or would of asked Microsoft.

Thank you for you input.

Jay

I've had the same issue this week. I noticed smoke coming from the charger cord on the Surface side of the block, sparks etc. Seems like poor design with such a weak cord.

GM

Hello J Minon,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Community. We are sorry to hear about the issue you've experienced with your charger.

To answer the question you've asked, I would strongly suggest you reach out to Support for a replacement.

They can be reached by clicking here.

Please reach out to them and please keep us updated.

Respectfully,
Ben_Mk

Hello again J Minon,

Any update for us?

Respectfully,
Ben_Mk

Hello gazmangn,

As stated to  J Minon in my previous post, I strongly suggest you reach out to Support for a replacement.

They can be reached by clicking here.

Please keep us updated as well on the progress.

Respectfully,
Ben_Mk

Hello again gazmangn,

Any update for us?

Please keep us updated.

Respectfully,
Ben_Mk

Hello everyone,

I contacted the Support team and they sent me a new one. The whole process was quite a mess unfortunately. They needed pictures for proof and I felt like I was being bounced around in different department. The shipping was long as well.

Greetings J Minon,

Thank you for the update and I am sorry to hear to hear about the experience you had during the exchange process.

I am Glad however that you got a new device and hopefully working to your full satisfaction.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Respectfully,
Ben_Mk

Just to add my voice to this, I too have experienced what sounds like exactly the same issue with sparks coming out of the wire. The wire itself was extremely hot and was melting. I was concerned that had I been leaving the device, a Microsoft Surface Pro 2, charging overnight, there could be a fire.


I will be contacting Microsoft support as the advice says.

I wonder if there ought to be a recall on chargers? I really don't want to have to spend £65 on a replacement only to find the next one will be unsafe.

Nothing about the SP2 chargers is fantastic, except for the USB port which does come in handy.  I have 3.  I've never seen sparks, except for a single spark at the connector itself when connecting to the device.  The behavior differs depending on when its connected.  If connected to the device before plugging into the wall, you occasionally see a spark at the outlet.  When connected to the wall first you can occasionally see one at the device.  Not serious in either case as long as your PSU isn't compromised or defective.

As far as sparks coming from anywhere else on the PSU, damage cords, etc.  This is the result of a defective PSU or is a result from damage caused by wrapping the cords too tightly on the adapter.  Over time, the connections at the block will fail and can cause sparks.  I don't wrap mine up so I've never had an issue, but I've seen many who have and in the majority of cases have occurred on devices where the owner wraps his/her PSU up tightly when its not in use.  I'm not saying this happens to everyone.  The cheapness of the PSU does contribute to this problem.  Unfortunately, because of the proprietary connector, MS has got us and can change a premium for replacement.  If not under warranty, you'll be hard pressed proving it wasn't caused by normal "use".  If damaged, it should be replaced as the cost of the adapter is small in comparison to the damage it might cause the device.  Not to mention the over heating and risk of fire.    

 

I had the same thing happen to me. I googled the issue to see if it has happened to anyone. My charger has been acting up lately, and I had to play around with it in order to charge my computer. I was laying in bed when I've heard the sparking noise and smelled something burning.

I am so happy that I was not asleep... Now I'm scared to buy a new one and use it since it seems like it's an issue for many people! 

 
 

Discussion Info


Last updated October 21, 2020 Views 3,615 Applies to: