Keyboard gets 'stuck' after 5 seconds while playing games...

And since a lot of games use AWSD for movement, this is a problem.

Basically - for example - playing Minecraft, when running forward (w) if you hold the w key down for 5 seconds, it'll 'stick' - and you can let go of the keyboard, and you will continue moving forward until you hit w again.  This also happened in several other games (Star Wars the Old Republic; Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands 2 (I think - I'm not sure it happened there...  But regardless).

I've tried turning off all the sticky keys - filter keys - all that stuff; I can't find any way of stopping this so far.  Is it maybe a defective keyboard?  Or just a 'flaw' in the design?

Thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Are you having overheating issue as well?  Battery drain issue?

Try the steps for troubleshooting listed by Sharief K.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Nope - the machine has gotten hot; but my only problem is the keyboard.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you try the steps listed by Sharief K?

Open Event Viewer > System and Application Logs

Look for errors related to the issue.  Be sure to check the details tab as well.

These problems are usually caused by dirt and debris within the keyboard, and can usually be fixed. On very old keyboards these symptoms can just generally be a sign of wearout of the internal mechanisms. There is also a possibility that the keyboard is just not comfortable for the way you type (if it is new and you are not used to it) so you might end up causing missed or bounced keys just on the basis of how you are typing.

How long have you had the laptop?  The keyboard may need cleaning which would mean having a professional perform the necessary steps.  It entails removing the sticky keys from the keyboard.

Clean the keyboard. If you are only having a problem with one key, you may want to try first just cleaning around that key cap.

If the problem is keys repeating, and this happens on many different keys on the keyboard, then this may not be a physical problem but rather the "typematic" setting.  You may actually find a switch or key on the keyboard itself that controls this.

Typematic Rate

Specifies the rate at which character output from a keyboard repeats, in characters per second, after a key is pressed and continuously held down.

Typematic Delay

Specifies the amount of time that must elapse, in milliseconds, after a key is pressed and continuously held down, before the character output from a keyboard begins to repeat.

Control Panel > Keyboard

Right click on keyboard icon and select Troubleshoot

In Settings test Repeat Delay and Repeat Rate > adjust the settings if necessary

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm about to try them - but - it's not a dirty keyboard; I can do it on every key - and it requires to be held for 5 seconds (or more).  The keyboard (a cover2 I think it's called) is also only 3 days old.

Plus, if it were a dirty keyboard - hitting that same key, wouldn't turn it off instantly. It's definitely something specific to software (be it a software, a driver or some firmware) on the computer - or if there's anything in the keyboard...

I'm also going to plug in a USB keyboard - just to see if it does it with that.  I'll let you know shortly...

EDIT:  Plugged in a USB keyboard - and it won't do it no matter what I try; so it's something specific to the "Type Cover 2" keyboard.  I think I'll go down to best buy tomorrow morning and try other covers to see if it does it on those as well.  It might be a defective keyboard...

EDIT #2:  As a test, I open a word document and just held down a key (again, any key); not only did it not 'stick' - after about 5 seconds; it stopped accepting the key I was pressing (soon as I lifted my finger and pressed the key down again - it started working for a few seconds then would stop again.  It's something specific to this keyboard, so gonna take it back and try another keyboard.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Good luck and keep me updated. 

See this thread with similar issue - known bug

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And since a lot of games use AWSD for movement, this is a problem.

Basically - for example - playing Minecraft, when running forward (w) if you hold the w key down for 5 seconds, it'll 'stick' - and you can let go of the keyboard, and you will continue moving forward until you hit w again.  This also happened in several other games (Star Wars the Old Republic; Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands 2 (I think - I'm not sure it happened there...  But regardless).

I've tried turning off all the sticky keys - filter keys - all that stuff; I can't find any way of stopping this so far.  Is it maybe a defective keyboard?  Or just a 'flaw' in the design?

Thanks.

I have exactly the same issue with WOW (the only game I played on the SP2  yet). I did not start a thread yet because I thought it was game related. But obviously not.

I have a touch cover 2. So this is not a dirt issue or anything... it is a but apparently...

And I usually switch to the desktop using the windows button and back once this happens. Unfortunately it happens a lot...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So as far as I'm concerned: It's a "bug" of the keyboard / computer.  MS needs to fix this immediately  :(

We tried it with a brand new Type 2 cover - it did it (on both their machine - and my machine)

We tried it with a brand new Type 1 cover - still did it  (on both their machine - and my machine)

And judging by the 2 'I have this problem' - in a couple days - I'm sure others will come along with similar problems.

I purchased a Bluetooth keyboard at Best Buy - gonna give that a try; but so far - I'm really disappointed by this.  :(

Oh, and I forgot: We also had a similar problem with an RT computer; tho obviously not with a game ad we couldn't install anything (it was also a display model).  However, it was the issue where you would open notepad - hold a key down - and it would repeat it for about 5 seconds, then stop responding to the key-pressing.   I think I mentioned that above; that happens on the Surface Pro 2 as well... 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I noticed another Type/touch cover issue that caused me trouble. I decided to try some light gaming on my Surface Pro 2 and noticed that while playing the Stanley Parable Demo from Steam after holding down the W key for a while to move forward I would end up not being able to stop moving forward even after letting go of the W key. I originally thought this was a touch cover issue, but it seems to effect the type cover as well. I would really like to see this software/driver issue be fixed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I originally thought this was a touch cover issue, but it seems to effect the type cover as well. I would really like to see this software/driver issue be fixed.
Yeah, it does it on both Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 - regardless of the cover used. It really sucks in The Old Republic; because there are planets where you just run off a cliff if you forget where you are....  :(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I originally thought this was a touch cover issue, but it seems to effect the type cover as well. I would really like to see this software/driver issue be fixed.
Yeah, it does it on both Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 - regardless of the cover used. It really sucks in The Old Republic; because there are planets where you just run off a cliff if you forget where you are....  :(

Sucks also in world of Warcraft ...  pulling groups you did not intend to...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 9, 2023 Views 7,124 Applies to: