Surface Pro 2 Issue List

1. High CPU usage when SD card inserted (fixed after latest firmware update)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro2-surfupdate/surface-pro-2-high-cpu-on-resume-from-sleep/ebc0ad3d-c9ed-44c1-b6d0-a19335a4e223

2. Auto sleep doesn't work (no fix, manual sleep required)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro2-surfhardware/surface-pro-2-auto-sleep-issues/3ec94b4f-9036-431e-9ee4-46b9db38b17f

3. Sleep sometimes results blank screen on wake (no fix, hard reset required)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro2-surfusingpro/problems-with-sleep-mode-on-surface-2-pro/c922ec44-b0d1-4444-95a1-1646a76cf9aa

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro2-surfhardware/surface-pro-2-crashes-when-waking-from-sleep/17576a4e-2d85-465a-95aa-029e7b7f29b3

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro2-surfhardware/can-you-please-fix-the-bug-where-the-device/07ec34d4-43de-42ac-b9d5-3c4892f27b21

4. EC controller failure as reported n event viewer (no fix, reset required)

: The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

5. Creaking noise top left of device (no fix, pushing down resolves for a while or exchange unit)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro2-surfhardware/serious-design-flaw-in-surface-propro-2/1b721799-79f3-4c34-b39b-49371b2a4fb5

6. Clicking noise when display goes off (no fix, hardware design)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro2-surfhardware/soft-clicking-noise-when-surface-pro-2-is-idle/08d69c4c-7ef5-4c7a-b3ed-ca85a52e773a

7. December firmware corruption (fixed through exchange or updated firmware)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro2-surfupdate/system-firmware-update-121013-fails-to-install/b2163f4b-9019-4508-a931-45c44fbbeb9c

8. Unknown device in device manager after reset (fixed through driver injection)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro2-surfupdate/unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/4c33a7f6-c866-4433-ae3b-2101e6c20b47

|

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Issue 1 with Sandisk Extreme 64GB

SP2 256GB 4200

Had a replacement in Dezember because of this issue. But it is still there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

With all the issues I was facing, no communication from Microsoft and spending far too much of my day in support forums and calls I have returned my device for a refund. 

Probably the most frustrating thing about this whole experience was the general lack of communication. I was never really sure if the bugs I had were hardware or software related. As such I just could not commit to this device,

I wish you all the best and hope one day Microsoft figures out how to build a device that can turn on and off without leading to crashes and high CPU usage.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Doesn't appear as if any of these issues have been addressed, feel quite justified in getting a refund.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Doesn't appear as if any of these issues have been addressed, feel quite justified in getting a refund.
You were one of the lucky ones. Some of us are stuck with this pile. Never again will I buy an MSFT product again. I was even going to get a X box one..... No way now with this kind of support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sorry some of the posters had bad experiences with Microsoft support. In my daughters experience they were very helpful. I gave her a Surface Pro 2 - 256 for Christmas and she loved it but started to notice problems with all her Apps. She spent about 10 hours over three days working with MS Support trying to solve the problem and finally they suggested it was a hardware problem. Support also suggested she take it to a Microsoft store to exchange it for a new computer rather than returning it to Microsoft online and getting a refurbished Surface.

She said the store was very helpful and replaced it with a brand new Surface which she hopes will be problem free. Because of the Holidays, Microsoft extended their Return Policy until Jan 31 so she has two days to test her new machine and decide whether to keep it or return it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

First Surface Pro 2 Returned, to Microsoft due to Driver error, Open case with Microsoft, and exchange with another unit.

Received second unit, charged it up and paired up Bluetooth Wedge Mouse, right after that, encounter with errors in Device manager once again,,, due to Bluetooth drivers.

I received the new unit 4 days ago, paint started to chip around charger connector,,, and edges of the kick stand, and I do not abuse my gadgets,

Erratic battery readings,, shows 7hours left, browsing, only, with in two minutes shows 2hours left, at 85%, nothing running on the background except browser.

Not a happy chap. especially paying over 2k for 512gb..

This unit supposed to be the PRO 2 , dedicated for portability as well as desktop use, but being so fragile I guess that Microsoft will need to reconsider quality control.

I will not tolerate get a case for it!!,

Reset and follow instructions in order to correct device manager issues,,,

I have paid $2180.00 AU, in order to buy a high end tablet to use out of the box

I need answers ASAP.

One way ticket!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't understand MS return policy I bought my Surface Pro 2 around 45 days ago and I cannot return it because its past the 30 day limit , which I find ridiculous, any other retail store purchase around $100 or more gives you a 90 day limit return / exchange policy.  When I spent $1200 I expected a 90 day return policy. I also had leginimet reasons for the return :

1. random disconnection from the Type Cover 

2. Creaking noise top left of device (no fix, pushing down resolves for a while or exchange unit)

If im wrong or eligible to exchange my surface pro 2 please let me know.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't understand MS return policy I bought my Surface Pro 2 around 45 days ago and I cannot return it because its past the 30 day limit , which I find ridiculous, any other retail store purchase around $100 or more gives you a 90 day limit return / exchange policy.  When I spent $1200 I expected a 90 day return policy. I also had leginimet reasons for the return :

1. random disconnection from the Type Cover 

2. Creaking noise top left of device (no fix, pushing down resolves for a while or exchange unit)

If im wrong or eligible to exchange my surface pro 2 please let me know.

You should be happy you get 30 days! Lol. Most stores here offer 7-15 days, and only REALLY GOOD stores offer 30 days! 

You have automatically 365 days warranty, contact Surface Support and they will either exchange your device for another or do an advanced exchange where they put a hold on your credit card and you can keep yours until you get the new one and once you return it, they release your funds. I believe this is subject to where you live. Here in Spain, they offer it, and I know in the US as well. 

Best of luck!

Kent

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ehhhh i've seen 90 days return policy on $100 blenders in target.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated April 5, 2021 Views 1,041 Applies to: