Surface Pro Miracast Connection Problem

I am essentially re-asking the same question, but in a different manner as it has been two weeks and the problem of the Surface Pro 2 not connecting to our new LG OLED, Miracast-compatible TV remains unresolved.  They do attempt to negotiate a connection, but they fail to connect.

I ran dxdiag on the Surface Pro 2 running Windows 10 with all the latest updates, and the results show the computer is Miracast compatible.  I have also separately checked for updated drivers and the result was that the drivers are up-to-date.

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 1/25/2018, 09:54:36

Miracast: Available, with HDCP

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
           Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Miracast: Supported

Initial attempts failed every time, even when the Surface is just a few feet from the TV.  Conversely, our HP laptop connects flawlessly every time.  This tends to suggest that the problem is within the Surface computer - not the TV.

I read Barb Bowman's informative article describing how Miracast negotiates a connection and, as a result, I checked the visible 2.4GHz networks around here.  There are four weak ones (~20% strength) on CH1, our own 'main' network on CH6 all by itself, and our own secondary network and two other weak ones on CH11 (78% and ~20% strength, respectively).  I presume the Surface and the TV being just a few feet apart, the related signal strengths would be adequate to override the weaker network signals on CH1 and, therefore, Miracast should be able to negotiate a connection.  The HP computer is 6x further away from the TV and, as mentioned, it connects flawlessly every time.

However, I did spot a difference between our two computers when connecting - namely the IPv4 address indicated for the direct-connection 'adapter'.  The IPv4 Address was 192.168.137.1 for the HP computer (and it was the same for my various acquaintances' computers as well), whereas on the Surface it was indicated as Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address 169.254.56.231.  The IPv4 Subnet Masks were 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.0.0, respectively.

As Miracast is essentially a peer-to-peer connection without a DHCP server to provide an IP address, on the virtual wireless adapter that is active during Miracast connections, I configured the IPv4 'Alternate configuration' to an address of 192.168.137.1, the same IP address that works every time when the HP laptop connects.

I thought I had found the answer as it worked briefly (during a 20-minute test period), and the results were very good .

However, the next day when there was something my wife actually wanted to see on the big-screen TV, she tried again and it failed to connect.  Several attempts were made - all unsuccessful.

A few days later a friend suggested that I try adding the same IP address for the Default gateway and DNS server.  I wasn't sure what good this would do, but I tried and it worked again during an hour of testing (to see if it would drop out - it remained solid).  

However, once again, while it worked for the hour or so of testing, later it again failed to connect.  We tried several times throughout the day and again over the next couple of days, but no luck.

I have tried shutting off Bluetooth, and even shutting off the HP computer to eliminate any impact they may have, but the Surface and TV will NOT connect.

The issue is almost certainly within the Surface computer, and I have no idea where else to look.  Can someone from Microsoft please shine some light on this?  There are so many discussions on the web about this problem with Surface computers; so, it must be very widespread and there must be a lot of frustrated Surface owners out there!

Any expert assistance would be appreciated.  Thank you.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

However, once again, while it worked for the hour or so of testing, later it again failed to connect.  We tried several times throughout the day and again over the next couple of days, but no luck.

When it fails (and can not be reconnected) go to Bluetooth and Other devices to Remove it (and its associated audio device) from there.  Sometimes this is not necessary but too often it seems that it is.  Alternatively, you could try using the Network troubleshooter on the associated Local Area Connection* name. 

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the suggestions Robert.

I have already tried removing the TV a couple of times, but I tried again with no change in outcome.

I am not sure how to use the Network troubleshooter on the Local Area Connection*, when it only shows up briefly while the connection negotiation is occurring, and it disappears as soon as the connection fails.  Perhaps you can advise me on this.

It is extremely frustrating when Miracast works so well every time with my HP computer but has only worked briefly a couple of times with the Surface Pro 2, and I haven't been able to repeat those two brief successes, which occurred immediately after I changed the Alternate Configuration for the IPv4 address as described above.

I am not sure where else to look at this stage.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Undo any manual changes you made in network config properties

2. Turn off the TV

3. Turn off the HP

4. Power cycle your router, wait 2 minutes

5. Turn on the TV

6. Restart your Surface

7. Go to device manager and uninstall but do not delete the Marvell wifi adapter driver

8. restart your Surface again and connect to your wifi network

9. try connecting to the TV.

As Miracast is essentially a peer-to-peer connection without a DHCP server to provide an IP address, on the virtual wireless adapter that is active during Miracast connections, I configured the IPv4 'Alternate configuration' to an address of 192.168.137.1, the same IP address that works every time when the HP laptop connects.

Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not sure how to use the Network troubleshooter on the Local Area Connection*, when it only shows up briefly while the connection negotiation is occurring, and it disappears as soon as the connection fails. 

What version of W10 do you have?  That peek-a-boo behaviour with no chance of using a troubleshooter is what I used to see.  Now with W10 FCU it at least sticks around in Control Panel's Network Adapters (which can be opened from the Settings Network page) but more significantly it also now appears in the Network Diagnostics troubleshooter (which can also be opened from the Settings Network page, who knew?); so I can see it either way--once the Connect dialog (Win-K) finds the MWDA.

Perhaps it would help to know what you see in the Connect dialog when you try to use it.  Also, if you see an associated audio port in any way I would try disabling that.  Although I have not had a problem with the MWDA's audio it is a continuing long-standing problem with the real HDMI connection.

There are other bits of implementation it may help to look at too.  E.g. in PowerShell Get-NetConnectionProfile at some point in the state changes pops up with the MWDA's LAC* as an "InterfaceAlias".  I have mine as Private and it seems to be sticking but at least in the past it would switch to Public and I would need to switch it back.   Before that  netsh wlan sh ne mo=BSSID shows a connection possibility which then disappears from there and changes its name.  (Etc.)  YMMV.

Windows 10.  Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Barb, thanks for the thoughtful and detailed sequence of steps to follow.

Undoing the changes I made took three attempts, as I have to work fast each time.  That Local Area Connection* only shows up during attempts to connect and when the negotiation fails and times out, it disappears.  Nevertheless, after three attempts with reboots, it was finally undone and back to its original setting.

Unfortunately your suggested process did not resolve the problem.  Of course, as expected, it put things back to 'square 1' and the result was just as it was in the beginning with the connection failing and the related Local Area Connection* IP address being an Autoconfiguration IPv4 address in the 169.254.xxx.xxx range.  I tried again and checked the properties while the connection negotiation is underway, and found the 'configuration' is identical to that of the HP computer - except for the IP address, that is.  The HP indicates an IPv4 address (not Autoconfiguration IPv4 address) of 192.168.137.1.

The only two times the Surface has connected with the TV were immediately following my changing the Alternate Configuration for the related Local Area Connection* to 192.168.137.1, which I chose merely because that is the address that my HP computer uses when it connects successfully every time.  I knew that only one computer at a time would be able to connect to the TV, so I presumed there would be no IP conflict - and that is the same address as a few friends' computers have when they successfully connect to their TVs.

Although I had a 42+ year career in a high tech field, I am not a computer expert and definitely not all that knowledgeable in networking; so, I do not understand why that same IP address is the one that occurs on all four 'working' connections that I am aware of.

Following the failure of the Surface to connect after completion of your suggested process, I then turned on the HP laptop again and tried to connect with it.  As usual, it connected very quickly.

I remain baffled and at a loss as to what to try next.  Your assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

with everything at "square 1" I'd like to see the output of

netsh wlan sho d

and after you are in the failed condition state with he 169 auto config address
I'd like to see the output of

netsh wlan show all >C:\nets.txt  

((this will generate a txt file with everything about your network, if it is too
large to paste into a reply here, please upload to OneDrive and share a link to
it in your reply))

*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Robert - Thanks for the follow-up.

Both computers are running Windows 10 FCU, v1709, build 16299.192, and unlike in your case the LAC* only shows up when connecting or connected and does not show up under the troubleshooter on the Network Wi-Fi settings page.

FYI, we are connecting directly to a Miracast-compatible TV, not the MWDA connected to a TV.

Thanks.

What version of W10 do you have?  That peek-a-boo behaviour with no chance of using a troubleshooter is what I used to see.  Now with W10 FCU it at least sticks around in Control Panel's Network Adapters (which can be opened from the Settings Network page) but more significantly it also now appears in the Network Diagnostics troubleshooter (which can also be opened from the Settings Network page, who knew?); so I can see it either way--once the Connect dialog (Win-K) finds the MWDA.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Barb,

Thanks for the follow-up.  Here are the results from the netsh wlan sho d command.

Interface name: Wi-Fi

Driver                    : Marvell AVASTAR 350N Wireless Network Controller
    Vendor                    : Marvell Semiconductor, Inc.
    Provider                  : Marvell Semiconductor, Inc.
    Date                      : 2014-05-23
    Version                   : 14.69.24054.176
    INF file                  : oem5.inf
    Type                      : Native Wi-Fi Driver
    Radio types supported     : 802.11g 802.11b 802.11a 802.11n
    FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes
    802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : Yes
    Hosted network supported  : Yes
    Authentication and cipher supported in infrastructure mode:
                                Open            None
                                Open            WEP-40bit
                                Open            WEP-104bit
                                Open            WEP
                                WPA-Enterprise  TKIP
                                WPA-Enterprise  CCMP
                                WPA-Personal    TKIP
                                WPA-Personal    CCMP
                                WPA2-Enterprise TKIP
                                WPA2-Enterprise CCMP
                                WPA2-Personal   TKIP
                                WPA2-Personal   CCMP
                                Vendor defined  TKIP
                                Vendor defined  CCMP
                                Vendor defined  Vendor defined
                                WPA2-Enterprise Vendor defined
                                WPA2-Enterprise Vendor defined
    Authentication and cipher supported in ad-hoc mode:
                                Open            None
                                Open            WEP-40bit
                                Open            WEP-104bit
                                Open            WEP
                                WPA2-Personal   CCMP
    Wireless Display Supported: Yes (Graphics Driver: Yes, Wi-Fi Driver: Yes)

That last line above confirms the findings of dxdiag that I had run previously.

We are sensitive about our personal data and, as a result, we do not use OneDrive or any other cloud-based storage or sharing apps.  So, before I post the netsh wlan show all command results, which include the names of our network and those of my neighbours, along with other identifiable info such as MAC addresses, channel usage, et al(?), I hope you will allow me to start by sharing with you just some possibly-pertinent differences in the results from the Surface Pro 2 (that fails to connect) and the HP laptop (that connects fast and flawlessly).

I have highlighted in bold the items that I am guessing may be pertinent.  Of course, as you are the expert and would know far better than I, please let me know which other sections items you would like to see.

=======================================================================
======================= SHOW INTERFACE CAPABILITIES ===================
=======================================================================

Wireless System Capabilities
----------------------------

[[ no differences ]]

Wireless Device Capabilities
----------------------------
Interface name: Wi-Fi
    WDI Version (Windows)                       : 0.0.0.0   [[ HP 0.1.1.5 ]]
    WDI Version (IHV)                           : 0.0.0.0   [[ HP 0.1.1.5 ]]
    Firmware Version                            :
    Station                                     : Supported
    Soft AP                                     : Supported
    Network monitor mode                        : Supported
    Wi-Fi Direct Device                         : Supported
    Wi-Fi Direct GO                             : Supported
    Wi-Fi Direct Client                         : Supported
    Protected Management Frames                 : Supported
    DOT11k neighbor report                      : Unknown
    ANQP Service Information Discovery          : Not Supported   [[ HP Supported ]]
    Action Frame                                : Not Supported   [[ HP Supported ]]
    Diversity Antenna                           : Unknown
    IBSS                                        : Supported
    Promiscuous Mode                            : Supported
    P2P Device Discovery                        : Not Supported   [[ HP Supported ]]
    P2P Service Name Discovery                  : Not Supported  [[ HP Supported ]]
    P2P Service Info Discovery                  : Not Supported   [[ HP same ]]
    P2P Background Discovery                    : Not Supported   [[ HP Supported ]]
    P2P GO on 5 GHz                             : Unknown   [[ HP Supported ]]
    ASP 2.0 Service Name Discovery              : Not Supported   [[ HP Supported ]]
    ASP 2.0 Service Information Discovery       : Not Supported   [[ HP same ]]
    IP Docking Capable                          : Not Supported
    FIPS                                        : Supported
    Instant Connect                             : Not Supported   [[ HP Supported ]]
    Dx Standby NLO                              : Not Supported
    Extended Channel Switch Announcement        : Unknown
    Function Level Reset                        : Not Supported
    Platform Level Reset                        : Not Supported
    Bus Level Reset                             : Not Supported
    MAC Randomization                           : Not Supported
    Fast Transition                             : Not Supported
    MU-MIMO                                     : Unknown
    Miracast Sink                               : Unknown   [[ HP Supported ]]
    BSS Transition (802.11v)                    : Unknown
    IHV Extensibility Module Configured         : Not Supported
    Number of Tx Spatial Streams                : 0
    Number of Rx Spatial Streams                : 0
    Number of Concurrent Channels Supported     : 2
    P2P GO ports count                          : 1
    P2P Clients Port Count                      : 1
    P2P Max Mobile AP Clients                   : 4
    Max ANQP Service Advertisements Supported   : 0
    Co-existence Support                        : Unknown

Thanks again Barb.  I really appreciate your attention to detail.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One more thing.. Does the LG keep a list of connected computers ?? And if yes, have you tried removing all connections? What is the model of the LG OLED TV?

The issue is that the connection isn't being negotiated - so you are getting an autoconfig address in 169. When you manually play with the IP and assign the address, I'm thinking the TV already sees this as assigned to the mac address of the HP...

1. leave things at square 1 and check the TV to see if it keeps a list of connected computers

2. if yes, remove all connected computers

3. restart the Surface and shut down the tv and turn it off and on again

4. try to connect again

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Barb,

Thanks for your continued interest and assistance.

I do not know if the TV retains a list of connected computers.  If it does, I have not yet found it but, frankly, trying to find things on this TV is a frustration of its own!  The model is a 2017-year OLED55C7P 4K Ultra Smart TV with LG's WebOS 3.5.

It was purchased from Best Buy about an hour's drive from here on a summer day (we live in a rural community and there is perhaps 2ft of snow on the ground now).  Coincidently, en route back from picking up a load of construction materials tomorrow, I expect to be passing by the city where the TV was purchased.  If I make it before closing time, I will pop into Best Buy and ask their Geek Squad to answer that question (and if there is a retained list, how to find and edit it).

You have raised a valid possibility regarding a retained list associating the manually-configured IP address I selected with a different MAC address (i.e., the HP laptop); so, I will be interested in hearing what the Geek Squad have to say - but it does raise another question in my mind, namely:

• If the TV does retain a list and associate an IP address with a MAC address, and as the HP computer was the first one from which a Miracast connection was successfully attempted, why has the Surface managed to connect twice immediately following my manual changes and yet I cannot repeat that success?

You may be correct in saying that the connection is not being negotiated, but it does appear to be.  By that I mean, the instant I initiate a connection attempt, both devices indicate "Connecting" and that indication continues until the attempt times out.  That tells me the TV is seeing that a device is attempting, but that is all I can tell.

Thanks again, and I will report if/when I get an answer to your question.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 13, 2021 Views 1,317 Applies to: