No wireless device after upgrading Surface Pro to Windows 10

Split from this thread.

Hi Nuno,

I have the exact same issue, only I am using the Surface 1 Pro. Also don't have a wifi connection. Also have a Marvall AVASTAR Wireless composite device, that shows up as "working correctly" in the device manager. When I go to the Network settings it shows a message in the airplain mode menu telling me there isn't a wireless device detected on the PC.

I actually have the Dutch version of the installation so it shows up as "Er zijn geen draadloze apparaten op deze pc gevonden." but hey that is a rough translation of what you had.

I would LOVE to get Windows 10 working on my Surface because I will need it for work tomorrow, Microsoft (or anyone) please assist!

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2019 Views 18,206 Applies to:
Answer

He may not suggest, but I will.

Older Cisco VPN software if on your device when it upgrade to Windows 10 will make the network stack barf.  I'm seeing this reported and confirmed in this forum and on the patchmanagement.org listserve.  If you have *anything* that sticks in the networking stack, please make sure you uninstall it *before* upgrading to Windows 10.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

This was exactly my experience with Surface Pro 1: my wireless adapter was missing in action after the Windows 10 upgrade but after rolling back to 8.1 and uninstalling my Cisco VPN software (Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 5.0.07.0440) the upgrade worked without a problem. 

As Susan Bradley notes below, make sure you uninstall older Cisco VPN clients before running your Windows 10 upgrade.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.