Surface Pro doesn't wake up from Standby

When I put my Surface Pro into sleep mode (not hibernate, as I disabled that using powercfg -h off  via command line), pressing the power button, Windows button, or pressing keys on the keyboard will NOT wake it up... the screen stays blank, although I can press the Windows key and feel it vibrate as to acknowledge that I've pressed it.

My only solution is to power off the device and then power on, which is not ideal for obvious reasons.

I have not made any changes to power profiles or the device, and I've spent quite a bit of time installing my software and copying files... I really don't want to reset it if I don't have to. I have already installed all available Windows updates.

Any advice?

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2019 Views 20,118 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Have you altered the wireless network card in Device Manager to not allow the computer to put the device to sleep to save power via the Power Management tab on the card? I had inadvertently done this and it caused my Surface Pro to not wake properly.

To clarify for anyone else running into this:
  1. Open Device Manager from the Control Panel or however you normally open it
  2. Expand Network Adapters and double click Marvell Avastar 350N
  3. Choose the Power Management tab and make sure the checkbox is checked for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
I sometimes write about tech here:

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
This from that other thread I referenced appears to have resolved the issue:
  1. Open Device Manager from the Control Panel or however you normally open it 
  2. Expand Network Adapters and double click Marvell Avastar 350N
  3. Choose the Power Management tab and make sure the checkbox is checked for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
Thanks all!

Leo
http://askleo.com

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.