Surface Pro Shuts Down Randomly

Hello!.

I am having problems with my surface pro, it seems to turn off randomly. I check temperatures to see if it was over heating, and while the unit gets hot, it doesn't seem to cause a problem. The surface pro turns off when hot, cold, or even room temp.

The Shut down is not a correct shut down, the unit seems to loose power, or die. It does not go into sleep mode. It is also not a simply problem of the display turning off, It simply shuts off

I don't believe it to be a driver issue or an OS issue.

All current data being worked on is lost when the shut down occurs.

Also, I could not post this question in Internet Explorer 10, I had to use a different browser

I purchased my Surface from best but about 3 months ago, and long past their 40 day return policy.

Any suggestions on what i should do? thanks

Question Info

Last updated August 22, 2019 Views 73,478 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi David,

Thank you for your post and a thorough description of your issue.

Considering the fact that you have tried a refresh, you may now want to try a reset:

Note: A reset reinstalls Windows and apps that came installed on your Surface. All of your personal files will be deleted and your settings will be reset. All apps that you installed will be removed. For info on backing up your files, see Back up photos, documents, and more. After a reset, you'll be able to set up Surface as if it were brand new.

Reset from within Windows

Step 1: Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and tap Settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings.)
Step 2: Tap or click Change PC settings.
Step 3: Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
Step 4: Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.
Step 5: Tap or click Next.
Step 6: Choose either Just remove my files or Fully clean the drive.
The option to clean the drive is more secure, but takes much longer. For example, if you are recycling your Surface, you should choose to clean the drive. If you are keeping your Surface, you just need to remove your files.
Step 7: Tap or click Reset.
Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process completes (this can take several minutes).

Please let me know if this helped.

Sincerely,
Shiho_P

96 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hello!.

I am having problems with my surface pro, it seems to turn off randomly. I check temperatures to see if it was over heating, and while the unit gets hot, it doesn't seem to cause a problem. The surface pro turns off when hot, cold, or even room temp.

The Shut down is not a correct shut down, the unit seems to loose power, or die. It does not go into sleep mode. It is also not a simply problem of the display turning off, It simply shuts off

I don't believe it to be a driver issue or an OS issue.

All current data being worked on is lost when the shut down occurs.

Also, I could not post this question in Internet Explorer 10, I had to use a different browser

I purchased my Surface from best but about 3 months ago, and long past their 40 day return policy.

Any suggestions on what i should do? thanks

Contact the Microsoft surface support... They decide if you get a replacment or not.

192 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.