USB 3.0 drivers not working (cannot plug in 3.0 drives)

I used my USB 3.0 flash drive once and it worked. Now whenever I plug it in I get a "USB device not recognized."  I tried uninstalling the flash drives driver as well as the Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft) driver and it still will not work. It works totally fine on other PC's with a 3.0 and 2.0 port so its not the drive, it is the surface. I did a system refresh and it again,worked once, then did not work again. Strange enough I plugged in a USB 2.0 extension cabled, and plugged the flash drive into that and it read, but it was transferring at 2.0 speeds (obviously.) I looked at Intels website and apparently there are several issues with the Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver as there is no official Windows 8 release and the drivers the surface is using is an old and known broken driver by Intel. So is there any hotfix for this driver that MS is aware of. Pretty ridiculous to release a 1k device that doesn't have official driver support for a device, which requires a non MS driver...

Question Info

Last updated July 6, 2019 Views 4,870 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
You are correct. This issue appears to be caused by Microsoft's deliberate alteration of the USB 3 stack to support USB 3 a bit better as well as UASP and to create a more stable stack for future USB 3 devices with the assistance of Intel. If you purchased a USB 3 device that had this built in stack support already (I believe this is part and parcel of the USB 4 preparation), then this likely would not occur.

Luckily, I did find this person's hack solution and this is currently the only solution available as Intel has made no movement to alter/update their driver to fix this functionality (not surprising).

Let us know if this fixes your problem and mark it as answered so the community will know!
I sometimes write about tech here:

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I think you are referring to Corsair Flash Voyager GT USB 3.0 USB flash drive. We have seen couple of different issues with Corsair flash drives. 

One of the issue is that the device fails a transfer (read section 4.8.2 in the blog referenced below) that  a good USB3 device must succeed according to the specification.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2012/07/13/common-issues-in-usb-3-0-devices.aspx

It's bit technical but it illustrates the point that there many "early to the market" 3.0 devices out there that are not fully spec compliant. We have worked around lot of issues but there are some that we cannot because 1) doing so would  lead to the proliferation of bad ddevice and we will never be able to fix the ecosystem, a nd 2) adding a workaround for a broken device starts to affect the performance of other good devices and the power efficiency of the whole system, in scenarios where we cannot isolate the workaround to a specific device.

There is one other timing  ssue (device expects delay between two transfers) in C Corsaidevices that prevents the enumeration. The r repro rate would vary from controller tcontroller. We did workaround this issue.

If you have problem with your Corsair device, please contact the device maker and see if they have a newer firmware that resolves the issue.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.