microSDXC 64GB persistent failure

I purchased a new SDXC 64GB card from Amazon

"SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 30MB/s Memory Card with SD adapter (NEW VERSION)"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007UXTSTE/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I plugged the card into the microSD slot on my Surface Pro. All went well for a while. I set up the card to use the Windows 8 File History support and I copied about 5GB of music to the card. All this with no problems.

But, a couple of hours later I noticed that the card was gone from the list of drives (under Computer) in File Explorer. I could not access the SDXC card. I looked in the Event Log and there was a disk error event with event ID=11 and the message text:

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DRxx"  where the xx has varied (increasing with each error)"

I simply removed the SDXC card from the slot and reinserted it. It immediately showed up again in File Explorer. Since then the failure has occurred in a similar fashion about 10 times. The SDXC card seldom is in the slot for more than 1-2 hours before the failure occurs (drop from File Explorer, unable to access the card). There always is a disk error event similar to the one above associated with the failure. Each time I simply remove the card and reinsert it. Then I can run a few hours before it fails again.

I have a USB adapter which accepts the SDXC card. I have inserted the 64 GB SDXC card into the adapter and plugged it into the USB 3.0 port. I have run the card this way for over 24 hours and have never seen a failure while the SDXC is plugged in through the USB port (but who wants to use a Surface Pro with a USB dongle hanging out). Nevertheless, this does demonstrate that the failure is probably not associated with the SDXC card itself.

I have an 8GB SDHC card which I had been using in the Surface microSD slot. I ran several days with this without any problems before I purchased the 64GB SDXC card.

Just so people know, I am familiar with micro SDXC cards. I am certain that this is not a problem associated with inserting the SDXC card into the Surface slot.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2019 Views 6,616 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Just to close this problem, I called Sandisk and talked to them briefly. They agreed to replace the SDXC card. Now (several weeks later), I finally received the replacement. As far as I can tell the replacement seems to be working fine so far (a day and a half). The original card seldom ran for more than a half hour before failing.

But, even though the replacement SDXC card looks identical (on the front) to the one that failed, the number faintly written on the back of the replacement card (3136DGCGW01Y) is different from the original card (3061GDUX30HR). I assume this is a "version number". I have no way of determining the significance of this.

In any case, thanks for the responses.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.