Bluetooth Surface Laptop 3 disconnects and reconnects for no reason

Every day, my bluetooth on my Surface Laptop disconnects and reconnects for no reason.  I am using a microsoft designer mouse and keyboard.  This happens multiple times each day.

I have tried all the standard items,

readding the bluetooth device

restarting the computer

ensure the laptop power settings are correct

making sure all updates have been installed

etc.

Anyone having these issues?  Any fix ?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi PhillipNaples,

Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Community. We are sorry to hear about what you are experiencing on your Surface Laptop.

Please try these steps then observe if the Microsoft mouse and keyboard still disconnects and reconnects randomly:

While the mouse and keyboard is connected/paired, open Device Manager

Expand Human Interface Devices

Double-click on Bluetooth Low Energy GATT compliant HID device, select Power Management tab above. Uncheck the box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" then click OK. If you have multiple Bluetooth Low Energy GATT driver, please do this on all of them.

Restart Surface

If this answer your question, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you.

Kind Regards,

Marrion Y.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello, I'm having the exact same issue with my bluetooth disconnecting/dropping out intermittently, multiple times each hour.

I've tried the above fix and the issue is still persisting.  Are there any other fixes or setting updates you can suggest?

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here.  My first unit was replaced for the exact same reason and the new one I got has the same issue.  There is clearly something wrong with SL3. I am using a Sony noise cancelling headset and a Microsoft mouse and both Bluetooth devise are disconnecting and reconnecting many times per hour. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here.  My first unit was replaced for the exact same reason and the new one I got has the same issue.  There is clearly something wrong with SL3. I am using a Sony noise cancelling headset and a Microsoft mouse and both Bluetooth devise are disconnecting and reconnecting many times per hour. 

I've been persisting in trying to resolve this issue with Microsoft for over 8 weeks and this is what finally worked for me:

1. Open Device Manager > Select the arrow next to Bluetooth
    2. Double-click the wireless Bluetooth device and select Properties
    3. Select Power Management and clear the checkbox for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. ***Make sure you check ALL the bluetooth device options***
  • Still in the Device Manager, go to Human Interface Devices, open Properties of the Bluetooth HID device, and clear the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the Power management.  ***Again, make sure you check ALL the bluetooth device options!***

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Done.  I'll report back if it fixes this issue. 

By the way, I can report however that the battery drains much faster on this 15 inches Surface Laptop 3 with an AMD chip than it does on a Surface Laptop 3 with a 13 inches display Intel based.  We have both and the battery report indicates at least an hour in battery autonomy less on the AMD devices.  I hope a fix is on the way. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I followed this procedure exactly as directed, including restarting the Surface and it immediately disconnected for about 10 seconds when I logged back in. This is definitely an issue with the Surface because it happens with any Bluetooth mouse I use. Currently, though I'm using a Microsoft Modern Mobile Mouse.

Hi PhillipNaples,

Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Community. We are sorry to hear about what you are experiencing on your Surface Laptop.

Please try these steps then observe if the Microsoft mouse and keyboard still disconnects and reconnects randomly:

While the mouse and keyboard is connected/paired, open Device Manager

Expand Human Interface Devices

Double-click on Bluetooth Low Energy GATT compliant HID device, select Power Management tab above. Uncheck the box for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" then click OK. If you have multiple Bluetooth Low Energy GATT driver, please do this on all of them.

Restart Surface

If this answer your question, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you.

Kind Regards,

Marrion Y.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Works fine with this setting. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Works fine with this setting. 

I'm glad to hear that! Thanks for letting me know. 

I also agree with your comment that the battery life is much shorter so I'm hoping a fix is on the way also. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have a listing for Bluetooth Low Energy GATT compliant HID device on Device Manager under HID.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue and it persists even after the fix suggested above. 

I even got the store to replace my SL3. But no joy so far... 

On a lighter note - One of the technicians at the store asked me to update all the intel drivers even the ones not certified by MSFT yet and I was like but this one has an AMD chip??? LOL!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 20, 2023 Views 7,666 Applies to: