Crack in Surface Laptop 3 Screen

I have a surface laptop 3  15" and i have had it for a month. I took it all over asia and it was perfectly fine. 

Then i went to school and i opened it up in my first class. MASSIVE HAIRLINE CRACK. 

I have put no pressure on it at all and have treated my device like a baby. 

i have used surfaces for years on end and this is the first issue i have had. Im very disappointed and am upset that Microsoft does not cover warranty. 

this is my education device which i paid a lot of money for i would like to know what i can do because i will not pay for something that is not my fault. 

Is anyone else having this issue?? What can i do? And i am also under warranty and paid for the extra warranty at the retailer.

Hi LilyAnthony03,

Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Community. I'm sorry for what happened to your Surface Laptop 3.

Yes, physical damage is not covered under normal Manufacturer's Warranty but you mentioned you paid for the extra warranty at the retailer, may we ask what extra warranty is this? Is this the Microsoft Complete Warranty Plan (Accidental Damage)?

If yes, then you can have the device replaced through the warranty claim by paying only the deductible amount (49.00USD in USA).

If it is not the Microsoft Complete Warranty Plan, it might be a 3rd party warranty sold by your retailer and for that I suggest that you contact the retailer for that warranty.

If this answer your question, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you.

Kind Regards,

Marrion Y.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

hi marrion,

my extra warranty is with jb-hi-fi, it is a repair plan. i do not recall it being part of the complete Microsoft damage plan. although, I do not understand although why the surface laptop screens are cracking. I did some research and it has occurred in multiple laptops. :( plus i live in australia, and the only microsoft store is in sydney, leaving me having to ship my laptop across the country for repair as the jb-hi-fi said i will have to send it back to microsoft.  thank you for your response. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

I have the same problem, a fine crack over the display. I thought I caused it myself though I am not aware that it have fallen to the ground. There are no other signs on the display edges. 

Kind regards 

Georg 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi LilyAnthony03,

I'm really sorry but for this case since the extra warranty is from the retailer (JB Hi-Fi), I suggest that you consult this case with them if you may use the warranty claim from them.

Kind Regards,

Marrion Y.

Sorry this didn't help.

Marrion,
 See the other threads here in the forum about others with this issue. Also see
If Mary Jo was told that "Microsoft is looking into this", why doesn't support
know about this ?

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2020 Views 725 Applies to: