Warranty Issue

Hello,

I currently own a Surfacebook 2 which I have purchased the extended warranty for. This warranty expires July 2020. Unfortunately, my screen has cracked and I need to replace my current laptop.

I purchased this laptop in Canada and now live in Hong Kong. I won't be returning to Canada and also have no contacts in Canada. I have contacted costumer support as well as Microsoft support in Hong Kong. It seems the Hong Kong stores cannot honour the warranty and replace my laptop because it was purchased in Canada. It has to be brought back to the Canadian store.

The staff at Microsoft in Hong Kong tried to request to have the laptops warranty honored in Hong Kong but Microsoft said they wouldn't do that and the laptop would need to be shipped to Canada. Due to the current situation in Hong Kong and Canada with COVID-19, international postage is suspended for the foreseeable future. (https://www.hongkongpost.hk/en/about_us/whats_new/notices/index_id_898.html).

In addition, the Microsoft store in Calgary, Alberta, Canada where I purchased the laptop is now closed until further notice as a non-essential business. Even were I able to ship the laptop to Canada and have a friend or acquaintance take it to the store, there is no way to return the device for the foreseeable future.

I am very unsure of what to do and feel really let down by Microsoft and their warranty. Microsoft in Hong Kong apologized and really tried their best to put in a special request to simply receive and replace the laptop in Hong Kong but the request was denied. My husband has a Macbook Pro that needed servicing and he was able to take his laptop in to the Hong Kong Apple Store with no issues whatsoever. They fully honoured the warranty and provided full services and replacement parts no questions asked.

I understand that the terms of service in the Microsoft warranty do not allow for a replacement in Hong Kong due to the Out of Region terms, but as an international teacher who works abroad, I found this very disappointing to discover and these terms cause me to be very reluctant to buy anymore Microsoft products in the future. 

In addition, it has been extremely difficult to find contact information due to the time difference and high cost of international calling to receive support for my issue from the Canadian store as there are no text, web chat or email contact options. As a large international company, Microsoft should be much more willing to support its clients' needs around the world.

In light of the unique situation that has developed and my unique circumstances, I would like to receive possible solutions to solve my issue. I have paid quite a lot to ensure that I have a quality product and, at the sales team's suggestion, also paid quite a lot to ensure that I was protected by an extended warranty and yet I have been unable to use the product or the warranty for quite some time due to difficulties with Microsoft's service department and the current global situation. In addition, I am one of many who have been negatively impacted by layoffs and economic difficulties and really need my computer as soon as possible to continue to teach, run my business and tutor online. 

Any solutions you can provide would be much appreciated. I've been very happy with the laptop, but in light of everything I would like to receive much better support from Microsoft.

Thank you for your time, I hope to hear from you soon.

Stay safe and healthy!

Aleksandra Softley

Hi, AleksSoftley!

Thanks for reaching out to Microsoft Community and posting your concerns. We are sorry to learn you have issues with your Surface Book 2's screen and the warranty terms. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this and allowing us to help you out. Thanks for understanding the process. We understand that you need the device for work and it is really challenging nowadays due to this global pandemic we have wherein some services like couriers are suspended until further notice. Microsoft is doing their best to cater to the needs of our consumers and at the same time, everyone's safety is one of our top priorities. 

I have sent you a private message so we can discuss further on this and ask for information since you mentioned you reached our team regarding this. Looking forward for your response.

Kind regards, 

Janette_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I would love to know if Microsoft comes through for you.

I basically begged on my knees for 6 months to get a pardon for an Advanced Exchange while in Australia because, 1 - I simply needed it for work and the only Microsoft Store in Aus is in Sydney and I don't live anywhere near there, and 2 - I also originally bought the laptop in Canada.

Microsoft didn't treat me like a human being, so I had to borrow a friend's computer and transfer everything across from my laptop mid-job so I could send the laptop to the Sydney store first for a Standard Exchange... 

Please let me know!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Will do! Its a very frustrating situation especially watching my husband deal with Apple and how globally accessible Apple is with it’s customers. I have paid extra for a warranty for a very expensive Microsoft computer in hopes of receiving similar treatment but it has been a very hard to make Microsoft understand. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

For anyone who is following this, this was the response I have received so far. Please note this is a completely unprofessional response as the answer does not even relate to the issue I am having.

I am more than happy to come to a compromise solution but Microsoft stores are closed and shipping and travel has been shut down due to the Covid19 crisis. There is simply no way to solve this based on their response. 

So many companies around the world are working hard to be flexible and adjust to the current situation but Microsoft seems to be completely inflexible, hurting people who are already losing employment. I am not asking for much, just a solution to recover the warranty I have already paid for given the fact that I physically cannot claim this warranty while I am stuck overseas.

Their response:

Hello Aleks,

Good day! We hope this e-mail finds you well.

We already received a response from our higher support team. According to them, since the Accidental Damage Plan of your device was purchased in US, we are afraiD that it is only applicable in US. If ou will process a replacement for your device and you are planning to use the Accidental Dmae Plan of your device, you need to send the device back to US and have your device replace there so that you can use it. This is an out of region process in my end as well as to their end. They also mentioned that they tried to consult it with the other support team, however, they can't find any option as well.

Best regards,

Ann

Surface Consumer Support – APAC-ANZ | Advocate

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

For anyone who is following this, this was the response I have received so far. Please note this is a completely unprofessional response as the answer does not even relate to the issue I am having.

I am more than happy to come to a compromise solution but Microsoft stores are closed and shipping and travel has been shut down due to the Covid19 crisis. There is simply no way to solve this based on their response. 

So many companies around the world are working hard to be flexible and adjust to the current situation but Microsoft seems to be completely inflexible, hurting people who are already losing employment. I am not asking for much, just a solution to recover the warranty I have already paid for given the fact that I physically cannot claim this warranty while I am stuck overseas.

Their response:

Hello Aleks,

Good day! We hope this e-mail finds you well.

We already received a response from our higher support team. According to them, since the Accidental Damage Plan of your device was purchased in US, we are afraiD that it is only applicable in US. If ou will process a replacement for your device and you are planning to use the Accidental Dmae Plan of your device, you need to send the device back to US and have your device replace there so that you can use it. This is an out of region process in my end as well as to their end. They also mentioned that they tried to consult it with the other support team, however, they can't find any option as well.

Best regards,

Ann

Surface Consumer Support – APAC-ANZ | Advocate

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, AleksSoftley!

I responded to your private message and the statement from our internal team.

Regards,

Janette_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow... I can't believe the amount of money they charge for their awful products and services.

I'm very surprised they don't make more of an effort because they've simply lost me as a future customer, it's as simple as that.

Right now I'm dealing with more **** also. I've just had my device replaced again because of accidental damage but they sent me a faulty replacement, so I've had to have that replacement replaced, and even though I returned one of them 2 weeks ago, they are currently holding two amounts of $794 from my bank account, when it should be one amount!

Just so you know, you're not alone.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 1, 2021 Views 618 Applies to: