Surface Book2 TDR video failure (nvlddmkm.sys

Since I installed the newest (big) may update of windows 10 I have problems with my graphic card. I need it for a fluent Photoshop performance.

1. It (gtx 1060) doesn't show up in the device manager. And after I searched for new device's it shows up for some minutes.

2. After about 5 min in Photoshop the BOSD appears or Photoshop shut downs.

3. Most of the time it happens after I play Solitaire.

I got the newest updates of every driver. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Since I installed the newest (big) may update of windows 10 I have problems with my graphic card. I need it for a fluent Photoshop performance.

1. It (gtx 1060) doesn't show up in the device manager. And after I searched for new device's it shows up for some minutes.

2. After about 5 min in Photoshop the BOSD appears or Photoshop shut downs.

3. Most of the time it happens after I play Solitaire.

I got the newest updates of every driver. 

Hi Alexens,

Thank you for bringing this up to Surface Community. Since you have already updated your device to latest version of Windows, please try this troubleshooting below. 

1. Make sure that you have the latest firmware installed( To find out which version and build of Windows you're using, select Start > Settings  > System  > About , then look under Windows Specifications to find your operating system version and OS build number.(you can also check your current version of windows by clicking Cortana, and type winver on the search box)

*To update your Surface with the latest drivers and firmware from the Download Center, select the .msi file name that matches your Surface model and version of Windows. For example, to update a Surface Book 2 with build 15063 of Windows 10, choose SurfaceBook2_Win10_15063_1702009_2.msi. For a Surface Book 2 with build 16299 of Windows 10, choose SurfaceBook2_Win10_16299_1703009_2.msi.

* Download drivers and firmware for Surface

2. Put the power settings to best performance (plugged in and in battery mode)

3. Open the device manager and keep it open

4. Unplug your SB2

5. Detach the tablet and wait for ~10-15sec until the system updated the connected devices (the device manager should flicker once or twice until it stops, maybe there is a sound as well)

6.Reattach and wait until the Nvidia card pops up in the device manager

7.Quickly make a normal shutdown as long as the card is still visible in the device manager

8.When the device is off, do a hard reset by pressing the volume up button and the power button for at least 20 seconds (Press and hold the volume up button before pressing and holding the power button)

9. The UEFI interface might appear, just exit and let the system restart.

If this works, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you.

Best Regards,

Romualdo G.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Romualdo,
There are several other threads with customers complaining that AFTER UPDATING
TO 1903
they experience Nvidia BSOD's when they use graphic intensive programs.
Adobe programs have been mentioned before and since Solitaire is graphics
intensive, it would seem related. I suggest that YOU search this forum and the
Internet for this issue so that you can see for yourself how it is trending AND
how so far, there appears to be no fix. -
You should have recognized this as a 1903 build based on what the customer said
in the first sentence.

Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did exactly as instructed by Romualdo's post and it accomplished exactly nothing for my SB2.  The 1060GTX GPU still disappears from the device manager and crashes a graphics intensive program such as SolidWorks CAD.  I sure hope that Microsoft is working on a fix to this ASAP, as I can't continue having multiple crashes and losing critical data in the middle of a design session.  If this continues for much longer, I'll be forced to look for a replacement laptop from a competitor which I can dependably use in order to make my living.  FWIW I thought that a fix would have been available by now...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was facing the same issue and was on the verge of replacing my laptop too. But finally I just tried rolling back to a previous version of Windows (1803 in my case) everything works fine now. It is a little frustrating that I cannot upgrade to a newer version just because Microsoft cannot seem to come up with a driver solution for the 1903, but it does the job for me so far. I would suggest you try doing that too.

You might need to factory reset your machine. Just remember not to upgrade to 1903 version when windows update prompts you to.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a known issue with Windows 10 v1903 and dGPUs right now. Details here.

For games, I've noticed playing games in exclusive fullscreen (so not windowed or borderless fullscreen) do not disconnect the dGPU. But this doesn't help apps like Photoshop who only use a GPU as a renderer.

"No matter where you are, everyone is connected"

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Skand

Thanks for the info...I had performed a second factory reset just to try something and it appears to have worked - so far.  This SB2 still has 1903 on it and I might have to roll back to 1803 per your suggestion...if there are any further crashes then that is definitely the game plan.

All the best,

Mike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Entegy

Thanks for the response...I did notice a change after following Romualdo's post when doing a hard reset and then a second restart.  Or at least, SolidWorks only crashed once after following Romualdo's instructions and a couple of hours later there still haven't been any crashes..so maybe his fix did actually work.  It might be premature to pronounce success at this time, but I'll continue to use SolidWorks and report back if the fix was stable (no further crashes or even BSODs).

All the best,

Mike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok well I can now confirm that Romualdo's fix was only partial at best.  Using a graphics intensive program like SolidWorks still causes the GTX1060 GPU to drop out from the device manager, crashing the program instantly and resulting in a loss of work.  While the problem has been definitely reduced from the level it was prior to Romualdo's fix, it is still there.  Perhaps the one really good thing is that now there is no BSOD -so far - like there was before.  Note the use of the words 'so far'.

I really hope that Microsoft can get this thing resolved quickly.  I love my SB2 and am not wanting to look for a replacement.  However the ongoing loss of work and time caused by this issue is means it will have to be dealt with soon.  I implore Microsoft to get this thing figured out in all possible haste.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Skand

Well after a couple of days after implementing Romualdo's 'fix', I can say that the GTX1060 GPU issue didn't get any better and in fact may be worse.  I've had several BSODs now and the problem has become insufferable.  Tried rolling back to 1803 per your suggestion but apparently I missed the 10 day period that Microsoft allows to roll back from 1903.  What a horrible mess.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Romualdo, your 'fix' didn't do a thing and the problem is just as bad as it ever was.  I regret having spent time chasing this down and now wonder what the next step is.  I've bought two of these surface books for my engineering business and it appears that both will have to be removed from service shortly.  I was hoping that the Friday release of the latest Windows update would have addressed this issue, but it did not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 8, 2023 Views 1,954 Applies to: