Mouse freeze on surface book 2 after the most recent firmware UEFI version 389.2268.769.0 update!!! especially when power adapter plugged in

There is a big issue in the recent firmware/driver update pushed to the surface book 2. The usb mouse became not really usable. There is a frequent lag/freeze happened to the mouse. Such issue was not there before the firmware update. 

The mouse I tried including Logitech G703, G402, microsoft wireless mouse, etc.

Many people have discussed this now but not solution is provided and the problem cannot be solved now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/951lyt/cursor_freeze_and_mouse_stop_working_randomly/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfbook2-surfdrivers/surface-book-2-15-connected-usb-mouse-keeps/94eaf7b1-e7be-48ce-bf57-b120524fa9e4?rtAction=1535025867190&tm=1535026055241

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/97804b/surface_book_2_mouse_freezes/

A further test can now confirm that the issue is either in the UEFI version 389.2268.769.0 or the system aggregator version 728.128.137.0.

After updated these two modules to those versions, the issue start to appear. This has been confirmed on more than one surface book 2 devices.

The previous version of the UEFI starting from 388 and aggregator version 728.77.137.0 do not have such issue. I can see at the moment, the 389 version of UEFI is not pushed anymore and the firmware/driver pack downloaded from Microsoft has the 388 version now.

But for those surface book 2 which has already got the 389 version pushed cannot revert back to the 388 version. Please fix this asap.

Question Info

Last updated November 12, 2019 Views 3,824 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello skytulip33,

Thank you for bringing this up. There are some factors affecting the performance of your mouse on the Surface Book 2 like current OS version, hardware compatibility, updates that are not yet installed, etc. However, to be able to understand the issue better, let us know more details by answering the following questions:

• Were there any other changes made to your Surface aside from the firmware update?
• Can you confirm if those mice are gaming mouse? Did you check if those mice have any softwares/firmwares/drivers installed on your Surface? If so, is it updated as well?
• As for the Microsoft wireless mouse you include, which model? Did you check for the LED status (if available)? How about the battery?
• Also, we would like to know if the issue is noticeable while using it, or after you wake the device from sleep?

To help solve this issue, we'd like to make sure that the Surface is up to date by going to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update then Select Check for updates (Select "Restart now" if prompted). If you have difficulty installing updates from Windows Update, you can download and run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. It is a self-healing tool which looks for potential issues and fixes them, as well as ensures your device is completely up to date. The tool takes about 10-15 minutes to run. You can click this link to get started then follow the on-screen instructions.

To troubleshoot the Microsoft wireless mouse, we suggest that you check these steps:

1. Unpair then re-pair the mouse.
2. Run the Bluetooth Troubleshooter by going to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. In the list of available troubleshooters, select Bluetooth then click "Run the troubleshooter". Follow on-screen instructions.
3. If that doesn't work, proceed to download and run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit.
4. In case that the wireless mouse have no power left, replace the battery. If it's rechargeable, plug in to the device via USB cable.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply.

Jump to the conclusion first: I can 100% confirm that it is the issue caused by the UEFI firmware or the aggregator firmware, the reason was that:

1. I have eliminated all the other factors which may causing this issue, including resetting/restoring the system, clean installation, update any software/driver available etc...

2. the problem was never there before the firmware update.

3. all the mice tested have no problem at all on any other desktop/laptop except the surface book 2 with the 389 version firmware

4. the other (second one) surface book 2 with the 388.1932.769.0 firmware had no problem but problem started to appear immediately right after the firmware updated to 389.2268.769.0 and aggregator firmware updated. 

So the issue here is that I cannot revert back to the 388 version firmware anymore if there is no update provided by Microsoft. 

Speaking about the issue itself, yes G703 mouse is a gaming mouse. Switching to the other Microsoft touch explorer mouse made the freeze/lag frequency lower but it still happens.  When using the wireless mode of the G703, the mouse freeze/lag at random manner and frequency. But when using the wired mode (connecting to the surface book 2 using the usb cord), the mouse will totally freeze after a while even though the LED on the mouse is still on (meaning that the mouse is still physically connected but just not working).

Adjusting the power option from "recommended" to "better performance" make the problem worse, and "best performance" basically kills the mouse as it will freeze/lag almost every second.

At the moment,  such update makes the device to be very hard to use. I hope there is a way to revert the firmware back to 388 version as this is the fastest way to solve the problem. (as a matter of fact, the latest driver package downloaded from Microsoft now has the 388 version included, not 389 anymore, even though 389 is still mentioned on the update history page). 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We do understand where you're coming and we see your point in wanting to revert back to a previous firmware version.  Have you tried running a System Restore on your Surface device?  If not, you may also try to  Reset Your Surface to ensure that you are able to revert back, deleting all the drivers and updates that took place.

If none of these works, then you may need to do a fresh installation and create a recovery drivefor your Surface device.

Should you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to reply back to this thread so we could get back to you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there,

I don't think you understood what the problem is. It has nothing to do with resetting or recover the system. But yes, to ensure that, I have done that already.

The issue now is that there is a problem with the firmware UEFI version 389. And such problem did not exist in the previous version 388. So unless Microsoft can fix it and release a newer version. The quickest way to solve the problem to let me to continue to use my system is to let me downgrade the UEFI. 

And apparently, none of the method you mention can help to downgrade the UEFI.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for getting back to us. The downgrading/uninstalling of UEFI to the previous version is not applicable via Windows Update settings and in UEFI settings as well. There are solutions for this are: resetting, using a recovery image or using an installation media. Can you tell us if you perform a clean install using Windows 10 installation media (via .ISO file) as well? If you haven't, you can proceed here.

Another way is to manually install updates and create a System Restore point (this includes reverting back to the previous firmware update/s).

Hope this information helps you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Resetting or using recovery disk cannot downgrade the UEFI firmware at all as I mentioned in my previous post.

I am not talking about the driver of UEFI inside the windows system. I am talking about the version of the firmware of the UEFI, i.e. BIOS firmware if using the old fashion name.

Microsoft need to provide a tool for flash the UEFI firmware to the previous version asap as the 389 version almost killed my device!

Sorry this didn't help.

Resetting or using recovery disk cannot downgrade the UEFI firmware at all as I mentioned in my previous post.

I am not talking about the driver of UEFI inside the windows system. I am talking about the version of the firmware of the UEFI, i.e. BIOS firmware if using the old fashion name.

Microsoft need to provide a tool for flash the UEFI firmware to the previous version asap as the 389 version almost killed my device!

In Regards to this issue. Both myself and my business partner have a 15" Surface Book 2. We own an IT business of 35 staff. One of the laptops had upgraded to the new firmware and immediately started having these issues, lots of trouble shooting was done and at the very end we decided to upgrade the firmware on the second Surface Book 2. 20 minutes into the first restart after the updates / firmware were completed, the USB mouse stopped working properly and was intermittent. Many different mice have been used that work perfectly fine else where, but have an issue on the SB 2.

There is absolutely no doubt that this is a firmware issue with the Surface!

Changing power battery options does not cause the device to function properly.

Going into a recovery for a Windows install is not a solution, as Windows is not the issue here.

Please fix ASAP as it makes these two devices useless to use.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been dealing with Microsoft for the last few weeks regarding to this issue.

It shocked me how slow and how inefficient Microsoft was in dealing with such as issue caused by their own fault. 

They seemed know nothing about the issue, know nothing about how this could happen and keeping asking me doing this and that such as resetting or recovery which are absolutely useless.

They denied to replace my device with a new one meanwhile without even being able to provide a solution. I just cannot imagine why it is so hard for Microsoft to simply release a tool to help revert the UEFI to correct their own problem.

Worst service and experience I have ever had so far...

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had the same problem, mainly because of the English barrier.  I don't think there are any USA based support people to talk with.  When I try to explain my problems, they never seem to get it. 

Sorry this didn't help.

It is shocking how slow Microsoft admit and respond to this problem caused by themselves.

Even until now still no solution, no compensation. My device has been useless for weeks. 

Release the new firmware or release the tool to revert the firmware to the previous version, NOW!

Sorry this didn't help.