Why the screen goes dark when i use software with dark background like Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop?

Why the screen goes dark when i use software with dark background like Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop?
This has been bothering me since the first day i bought my Surface Book2.

Many times i phoned Microsoft, but they just ask me to do the diagnose test, and says everything is ok.

But after a few days it occurs again.

When i started up any software with dark background, the whole screen goes dark.

When i tried to browse, it is too dark and my eyes are feeling tired, gradually it will goes bright itself.

And when i stop browsing and continue working with the software, the screen goes dark again!!

---

And also how to use the Chat? It seems that it cant connect at all.

It shows me "OK. You can connect to a person below." ,and after choosing Product: Surface and issue, it keeps giving me the same response again, ie "We need a bit more info".

And i have to keep repeating choosing "Chat" and it directs me to the same question again but without starting the Chat at all.

Screenshot of the chat system directing me to same question again and again and the chat wont start.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi rei156,

Thank you for posting your concern here.

We really sorry for the inconvenience that has caused you on your Surface Book 2 device that the screen goes black when you do some activity on your device. Actually there are a lot of different probable causes why this is happening with your Surface device right now. This could be a software related issue which can be fixed by doing the troubleshooting steps.

For us to better understand the issue, please answer the question below:

• With regard to the dark on the screen when you do Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom or any activity on your Surface Book device, are your referring to the screen brightness that automatically adjust? If that so, may we know if you already tried to check the settings on how to change the screen brightness?

To help resolve the issue, please try the follow troubleshooting steps:

Step 1: Download and run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. Leave your Surface plugged in to power while downloading and running the tool and make sure your Surface is connected to the Internet. If the tool will not resolve the issue, please proceed to the next steps below.

Step 2: We will make sure that your Surface Book 2 is up-to-date. To check if there's pending updates that needs to be installed on your Surface Book device, please go to Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update, at the right side please click the "Check for updates" button for you to know if there's an update that needs to be installed. (If there's any pending updates, please download and install it and also while the updates are downloading or installing please do not perform any restart or do not turn of the Surface device, let the updates finish before you will use it.)

Let us know how it goes. Looking forward top your response.

Best regards,

Mizey

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi rei156,

Thank you for posting your concern here. 

We do understand that you wanted to connect to the Chat Support. No worries, we have another link where you can contact them, please see the link below in order for you to contact the Chat Support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/surface-devices and

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Best regards,

Mizey

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

• With regard to the dark on the screen when you do Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom or any activity on your Surface Book device, are your referring to the screen brightness that automatically adjust? If that so, may we know if you already tried to check the settings on how to change the screen brightness?

Yes, the brightness (luminance).

Especially when u use surface with battery and not the AC adapter.

I have finished the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. test and also my Surface and Windows is up to date.

FYI, i bought my Surface less than 1 year ago, i faced this problem since the first day i bought my Surface.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi rei156,

Thank you so much for your response. 

Thank you so much as well for your patience and your time performing those basic troubleshooting steps on your Surface device. In this case, since the this issue was started from the date that was purchased,

I can highly suggest if we will do any of these following troubleshooting steps on your Surface device, (Fresh Start, Reset within Windows or Recovery Image).

Fresh Start - lets you perform a clean reinstallation and update of Windows while keeping your personal data and most Windows settings intact. In some cases, a clean installation may improve your device's startup and shutdown experience, memory usage, Microsoft Store apps performance, browsing experience, and battery life.

Also, Fresh Start will remove most of your apps, including Microsoft Office, third-party anti-virus software, and desktop apps that came pre-installed on your device. You will not be able to recover removed apps, and will need to manually reinstall these apps later. You may also lose your digital licenses and digital content associated with apps, which may impact your ability to use these apps or app-related content you paid for.

(To use Fresh Start select Start Windows logo Start button > Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon > Update & security Circular arrows Sync icon > Windows Defender > Device performance & health. Under Fresh Start, select Additional info > Get Started

Reset within Windows - this process has two (2) options, Reset - keep my files and Reset - remove everything.

Reset - keep my files will reset your Surface device, it will delete and erase the third party application that you downloaded and installed on your Surface device and it will keep your personal files. No worries, still you can re-install and re-download your application.

Reset - remove everything will reset your Surface device all the information that are saved will be erased and deleted and this process will totally reset the Surface device back to its factory default.

(Note: Reset process will take 30 minutes to an hour)

Recovery Image - is a tool that we will going to download a file from a separate or a computer that is working and we will going to extract and save that file to a USB Flash Drive that has at least 16GB or 32GB and this Recovery Image will going to delete all the information that are saved on the surface device and it will install the latest operating system and the firmware/software drivers on the surface device and this Recovery Image will reset back to its factory default.

Please see the steps below.

To reset the Surface using a USB Recovery Drive, first you need to use a 16GB or 32GB USB Flash Drive and format it to FAT32.

Please download the Recovery Image from this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage 

and please choose the newest version of Windows on the device there might be a Surface Windows 10 version 1803 or Surface Windows 10 version 1809. Please choose the latest one.

After downloading, please extract the downloaded file and transfer everything to your formatted USB Flash Drive.

After transferring, you are now ready to use your USB Flash Drive.

Here is a link you can also check on a video on how to go about the USB recovery image. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023512/surface-creating-and-using-a-usb-recovery-drive

Here are the steps on how to use your USB Flash Drive:

Step 1:

Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in with charger, and then insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port.      

Step 2:

Press and hold the Volume-down button and press the Power button ONCE.       

Step 3:

When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.      

Step 4:

When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.      

Step 5:

Select Troubleshoot > Recover from a drive. If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the screen.      

Step 6:

Select the target operating system you need to reset. (This refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.)      

Step 7:

Choose Fully clean the drive.            The option to clean the drive is more secure but takes much longer. For example, if you’re recycling your Surface, you should clean the drive. If you’re keeping your Surface, you just need to remove your files.      

Step 8:

Select Recover.            Surface restarts and displays the Surface logo while the reset process continues. This can take several minutes.

Step 9: After successfully perform the Recovery Image and once the surface device is already boot up to the main Windows Home scree, please make sure the surface device is updated. To update, go to Settings >> Update and Security >> Windows update. On the right side, click on the "Check Update" button for us to installed the pending updates that needs to be installed.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Mizey

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Let me know is it weird if it happens when surface is using battery instead of AC adapter?

Or that's the real way Windows (or Surface) behave when in battery mode ? (although this is ridiculous)

I just wanna know the answer.

There are so many people complaining this as you can see when you googled, but none shared the experience of fixing the problem, so is it just that Windows problem ?? 

It's  not so easy to do restart when you have everything, all software installed, and your data and everything in it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2021 Views 70 Applies to: