I rarely get worked up enough to rant on the internet. Surface Book 2 and Surface dock have pushed me over the edge.
If you're thinking about using the Surface Dock with your Surface Book 2 you may wish to read this. I'm using the surface dock with dual external monitors. I close the lid and usually both external monitors work fine. Except when they don't.
Here are a list of problems I've experienced with this dock, sometimes multiple at once:
- Wrong resolution on one external monitor
- Laptop insists on using it's built-in display instead of my second dual monitor (with the lid closed!). The only way to resolve this seems to be opening and shutting the lid. Causing me to have to log on again. Can you feel how frustrating this would be?
- Login screen shows up on the *closed* laptop lid where you can't see it
- Bluetooth connectivity, to my Microsoft bluetooth mouse, mysteriously disappears. No bluetooth. Rebooting is the only cure.
- One monitor gets into a flickering loop, the other stays dark.
- Attempts to restart sometimes idle for 15, 30, even 45 minutes. Just the restart screen with that spinning circle leering at me.
- When the restart finally crashes, i get a Blue Screen of Death. Yes, that's right folks, the BSOD still exists in 2018. Except they added a frowny emoji because that's what the cool kids do
At least three or four times a week I have to go through this ten minute battle to get dual monitors and mouse working. It's become my morning coffee ritual.
If anyone at Microsoft is reading this, please fix the numerous Surface Dock issues that myself and other users are reporting here. The Surface Book 2 is a fine device...until you plug it into the dock and everything goes haywire.