How can I keep the NVIDIA GPU attached to my Surface Book 2?

I have the Surface Book 2 with detachable keyboard, which contains an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060. But every time the computer wakes from sleep, I hear the "Device Disconnect" sound, and I look in Device Manager to find that the NVIDIA is missing! Easy to reproduce by closing the lid and opening it after 5 seconds.

This makes the computer run like crap; 3D applications are totally unusable. Sometimes it disconnects in the middle of a session, as it did while writing this question.

Surprisingly, rebooting doesn't fix it. I can usually fix it by detaching and re-attaching the keyboard.

But it's very inconvenient to detach all my peripherals. How can I keep the NVIDIA attached?

Answer
Answer

I was able to solve the problem by following the steps in this Reddit post.

1. Shut down

2. Detach the tablet from the keyboard base

3. Power on the tablet with Power + Volume Up to enter UEFI mode. Exit to reboot.

4. Attach the tablet to the base

This did not work (even with a reboot and an attach cycle). So I continued:

5. Download the latest Surface Book 2 firmware and drivers: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56261

6. Uninstall the NVIDIA 1050 or 1060 from Device Manager.

7. Install the SB2 driver pack and reboot.

It's been working for 2 days now, through several sleep/wake cycles. The NVIDIA stays connected. I'll update if the issue returns.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 5, 2024 Views 6,054 Applies to: