openGL in Surface Book

Surface Book has a fairly heavy-duty GPU which I believe is based on GeForce 940M which claims it supports OpenGL 4.5.  I want to use Adobe After Effects on my SB but one of my key plugins, Video Copilot's Element 3D (V2.2) won't load.  Error message says OpenGL failed to initialise.  On my desktops I use GeForce drivers, not MS and Element 3D works fine.  Is this because of differences between Microsoft driver OpenGL implementation and GeForce? 
I'm not sure about this, but the Surface Book doesn't use the Nvidia GPU by default.  Somewhere in Settings you can tell the SB which apps you want to use the discrete GPU.  Perhaps if you enable it, your plugin will work. 
So many bits, so little time...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Alan,

Are you still experiencing this issue? What troubleshooting steps have you done, if any? We're here to help.

Best regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oddly enough, OpenGL works fine on the Surface Book DGPU. It seems, that DirectX is less compatible.

Scenario: 

Game: IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. You can choose the Setting, either OpenGL or DirectX.

Upon setting the game on Direct X and forcing SB to use the DGPU, the game will still always default back to the standard Intel GPU.

Upon setting the game on OpenGL, the Game will run either on DGPU or on Intel GPU, whatever is chosen.

It follows, that the DGPU somehow has a problem with DirectX.

Odd.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 1, 2020 Views 2,037 Applies to: