Yellow tint on Surface Book Screen

I have a really noticeable yellow tint stain on all sides of my Surface Book. I spent well over 3 grand roughly a year or two ago on this "State of the Art" machine and now this? I need this fixed - how do I get this resolved? If its past the time limits you still need to fix this issue, I have seen too many posts on this now and it seems like faulty equipment - not something we should have to have already on this machine we invested so much into!! 

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2019 Views 10,191 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sorry to hear this:(.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm going to try and sue them in small claims court here.  Microsoft knows they sold badly engineered and dangerous hardware but wants the customers to pay $600 to fix their problem.  It's a disgrace the way they are treating people.  It's my understanding that the battery swelling is what is pushing the screen off the frame. Mine didn't start separating from the frame until about 3 yrs and a day but I'm just sh@t out of luck according to Microsoft.  I've owned dozens of computers over the years never had one literally fall apart before - I have 15 yr old computers and laptops that still function, I just retired them because the were no longer fast enough.  Microsoft sold us lemons and they know it they just don't care.  I will never buy another piece of sh@t Microsoft hardware again and plan to migrate to Apples operating system.  They lost me forever.  

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sorry so many people are having this same problem and being charged $600.

I took mine to my nearest Microsoft store and when the tech saw I had the yellow tint problem she immediately went and got a replacement out almost before I finished telling her what was wrong.  She explained that the problem was caused by the swelling battery, and when she laid the screen unit down on the table I was shocked to see it was bowed and warped. She told me I shouldn't take it home again to do an additional backup because it could explode. She transferred my data and sent me home with a refurbished replacement machine.

A few days later I received a box designed to send back computer, treating it like hazardous material.  They must have gotten their wires crossed, because they had already taken away and replaced the faulty one.

Apparently some stores are demanding payment for out-of-warranty replacements and some are not.  Perhaps if people tell them that others are getting free replacements....?

Sorry this didn't help.

You probably had not owned it for more than 3 years.  If the battery swelling and pushing the screen off the frame occurs within 2 yrs and 355 days they will stand behind the customer - if it is 3 yrs and 1 day its the customers problem that they built a defective product.

If you owned it for more than 3 years and they replaced it can you please provide the Microsoft store location that replaced it and the person you dealt with for proof - TIA. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't even own mine for 3 yrs yet.  I still have 2 weeks to go.  Still want the $600

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't even own mine for 3 yrs yet.  I still have 2 weeks to go.  Still want the $600

I just had my 2.5 year old Surface Book replaced at a local Microsoft store.  Warranty expired after one year of course... and my 3 year anniversary of purchase was coming up in November 2019.    I purchased online via Best Buy and all I had to show was the email proving delivery (I don't have the actual receipt)

The store manager took one look at the yellow burn-in lines on the LCD and immediately provided a replacement on the spot - no charge. 

I had all my data backed up via oneDrive / Dropbox so I just initiated the full hard drive wipe at the store and got all data back on when I got home.  

Maybe I was lucky.  

Liam

Sorry this didn't help.

wow congrats! What location?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just had my 2.5 year old Surface Book replaced at a local Microsoft store.  Warranty expired after one year of course... and my 3 year anniversary of purchase was coming up in November 2019.    I purchased online via Best Buy and all I had to show was the email proving delivery (I don't have the actual receipt)

The store manager took one look at the yellow burn-in lines on the LCD and immediately provided a replacement on the spot - no charge. 

I had all my data backed up via oneDrive / Dropbox so I just initiated the full hard drive wipe at the store and got all data back on when I got home.  

Maybe I was lucky.  

Mine will not even come on anymore.  When I plug it up it starts smoking.  I have take my surface to the Microsoft Store in Vegas and New Orleans, same results - $600.

Sorry this didn't help.

>Mine will not even come on anymore.  When I plug it up it starts smoking.

PLEASE do not plug in. This is extremely dangerous.

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question but I am a fresh adult and have never had my own laptop before to take care of.. How did you bring your laptop in for them to check? Did you have to schedule an appointment with the Answer Desk? Or is that just for Windows 10 issues? Did you call 1-877 number the customer support? Or did you just straight up walk in and say "hey I need help with my laptop, please check it" and they did? I don't want to call the wrong people or schedule an appointment where they can't help me so I don't bother anyone who could be helping other people..

Angie

Sorry this didn't help.