Surface book screen bulging

I bought a Surface book a little over 3 years ago in Australia. At first, I thought it was the screen bleeding, but now I realize that this is the battery bulging out. I identify with the frustration of many people who have purchased this computer and run into these problems at this price range (I have issues with the mic as well), and I'd appreciate it if you could let me know how to replace the screen. Thank you.

Hi, imreadytosaygoodbye!

Thanks for reaching Microsoft Community and taking the time to post your concerns here. We are sorry to learn about the screen on your Surface Book that has expanded. This isn't the experience that we want you to have. Please allow us to help you out in directing you to the right team that handles this.

For cases like this, the device needs to be replaced. Kindly Contact Microsoft Support for immediate assistance. That way, you will be assisted by one of our advocates to process your replacement order.

1.    Please make sure you are signed into your Microsoft Account when you go to that page above, then click Contact Support.

2.    A new window will pop-up showing the Microsoft Virtual Agent.

3.    Type Replacement order for expanded screen then press Enter.

4.    In the responses, click None of the above until you get to another response that gives you an option to Talk to a person.

5.    Once you click Talk to a person, select Surface when asked for your product and hit Next.

6.    Select Warranty and service when asked for the issue and click Next.

7.    Still click on Next button when asked for a bit more info.

8.    You will be asked to register your Surface Book (if not yet registered) or choose it (if already registered). 

9.    Kindly wait so that you will see an option for a callback.

10.  Enter your phone number and confirm it.

11.  You should see a confirmation that your scheduled callback has been successful and a call will be made within the expected timeframe.

If you prefer to call, please check this page to know the number for your country in our list of Global Customer Service phone numbers.

You may be asked to provide additional media files. It would be best to prepare clear photos and/or video.

• Take a picture from the side.
    • Place a straight, flat edge (like a ruler or something similar) directly on the screen or part of the Surface where the bulge is happening.
    • Lay the Surface on a flat table with the screen facing up.

Another option is to go to a Microsoft Store close by. If you are in Australia, please visit this page to know the location details of the Microsoft Store - Westfield Sydney on Pitt Street Mall.

We hope this helps you out, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you. 

Kind regards,                                                                                                                 

Janette_Z       

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you, Janette. 

Well, it tells me the warrantee period over. 

=========================

Out Of Warranty - Standard Exchange

(AUD 953.7)

Once non-functioning unit is received, it will be replaced with a similar device.
=========================

I didn't see an option to leave a phone number. Was this because the device was out of warranty?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're welcome, imreadytosaygoodbye.

It is odd you're not getting the option to leave a number as I was able to do so earlier. 
Before posting my response, I made sure that the steps I gave is what I also experience on my end.

It is possible that the URL of the page is in AU. I managed to copy the URL of the Virtual Agent.

Kindly open this page to be directed to the browser version of the Virtual Agent.

Make sure you see en-us along the URL address.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Janette_Z

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I bought my Surface Book 2/7/2017. 

I was never notified of the potential battery failure. 

I contacted Microsoft and they told me no longer could provide a replacement free of charge because my call was 21 days too late. 

If this were an automobile with a known issue it would be recalled and repaired free. 

As a known issue, and a regestered product, I would have expected to be contacted to watch out for this. 

Microsoft says they cannot overide the system to take care this. 

I contacted microsoft about another issue in January not realizing my issue was a dead, expanding battery. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi David,

Thanks for leaving your response. I just had the same experience. I wish I didn't have to at least waste my time uploading photos and whatnots. It's such a pity that Microsoft wouldn't own up to their own mistakes/failures. Well, they just lost a customer for life. 

People, be warned. :(

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are welcome, we need to make this known in a more open environment facebook, twitter, instagram, and youtube. We need to warn people before it is too late. I will do my part.

Maybe even a class action suit.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, what is even more outrageous is that they had the guts to ask for the photos FIRST and then ask for the receipts the next day. It should have been the other way around at least. I had to be on the phone for more than I cared for. It just gathered data for them at my cost and time.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue, its a joke that a device can be sold for close to 3000 dollars and the company does not stand behind it. Only 3 years for battery DEFECT replacement is a sham. 

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 7, 2023 Views 980 Applies to: