Surface Book - Can't charge battery 2

Hi,

I've encountered a problem with my Surface Book, after using Surface Book (i7, 256GB, 8G RAM) for about 1 month, the battery 2 which is for the tablet could not be charged, so each time I was trying to charge would not charge this battery in recent days, that causes I can't detach the tablet, and I can't boot the laptop after shutting down without a power supply (boot without a power supply, the screen would show an empty battery icon).

Than I got some ways from the website(https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/surface-wont-turn-on-battery-wont-charge?os=windows-10), to uninstall the batteries' driver and update Windows 10, or to update the batteries' driver, the trick pressing and holding the power and volume up buttons simultaneously for 15 seconds, but nothing has changed. Any other ways to deal with this problem? Thanks.

This is the snapshot from battery report:

seems one battery is dead...?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

if you are in the US, go to the closest physical retail Microsoft Store and get
swapped out. inspect and set up at the store to insure the replacement refurb
device works. if you are not in the US, you need to exchange via online support.

Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

exactly the same problem. Did you manage to obtain a solution ? I've contacted Microsoft by chat and they propose an exchange.

Just one question. Did you remember when this problem occurs ? For me, I think i t was after the last firmware update (11/17/16) but no sure.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I think the problem occurred on my laptop should be before last Saturday (12/3). I doubt the issue is from hardware, not from firmware maybe?

After trying the 2 buttons (power and volume-up button near power) shutdown trick, actually there's a difference - batteries' order, the "Battery 1" is for keyboard, 2 is for clipboard (tablet), after uninstalling batteries' driver, the order changed, 2 buttons trick recovered this. But the fact that 1 battery couldn't be charged is unchanged, I've tried couple times, and am really frustrated.

It seemed the condition had transformed just a moment, once I can boot the laptop without power supply, and the power condition showed:
42%
Battery 1: 58%
Battery 2: 0% and not charging

but after a little while after I plugged the power supply, it returned to the bad condition.

I hope Microsoft can help to fix my device, not to exchange the other one if the problem still exists. But maybe I'll need to wait for couple weeks after the device is fixed?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I really think it's a firmware problem (but I might be wrong)... battery 2 is functional and completely charged when it is detected (it still occurs for me... less and less often).

Finally I had a discussion with Support Team this morning and they proposed an exchange. Sending it back on monday...

Good luck with yours.

Regards.

David.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem still exist, and I've chatted with the online staff, seems not possible to get my device back after being fixed since they don't do same-unit repairs, I need to send my device for an exchanged one, they promised the replacement is brand new originally but for some technicians would test it, so it will be tagged as refurbished. Is it true that I can get a brand new one or the refurbished one only used by MS technicians? I got mine from online store, some discussion pointed out one can exchange a brand new one if he exchanges in a retail store in US, is that true?

The problem occurred merely about 1 month after I started using it...sigh...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

if the device is within 30 days, the stores will provide a new one IF they have
in stock. after 30 days, it will be a refurb. but it is best to go to a store so
you can test the refurb before leaving the store.

>>some discussion pointed out one can exchange a brand new one if he exchanges in a retail store in US, is that true?

Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 16,803 Applies to: