Response to Surface Book Expanding Lithium Battery and Screen Separation Issue

In 2018, I received a refurbished replacement for my very expensive Surface Book that had the yellow screen streaks and expanding lithium battery issue.  I trusted Microsoft that they were providing me a replacement that would not have these issues.  Now the same problems have occurred on the refurbished replacement.  I called Microsoft Support on Monday night and told that the "Escalation Team" would call me back within three days.  This never happened.  I talked again to a rep who said she had no way of finding my case # and wanted me to start again in relaying my problem to her. I asked if she could give me the number of someone who can find the case # to discuss this with them.  She said that this was possible and then promptly hung up the phone on me.  I spoke again last night to a representative who told me that the "Escalation Team" was not prepared to talk with me and that I would receive a phone call today.  This has yet to happen.  In the meantime, I received an email saying that I have to pay $599 to get a replacement for the refurbished computer that was obviously provided to me in a defective form while I still had warranty on the original computer.  I feel cheated by this company to be provided a defective product during my warranty period and then told later that the defective product provided to me is not covered by warranty. How is this morally fair or even legal?  It is obvious from this Community group and from across the internet that the Surface products have defective lithium batteries that are fire and explosion hazards that are putting me, my family, and my co-workers at risk.  Microsoft...what can I do?
I am also in the same boat, but I have to yet contact Mircosoft. I receved a replcement Surface book due to screen crack because of abnormal battery expansion. Now, the same is happening to the replacement device only after 1 year. Looks like these devices are not engineered properly for heat dissipation and also for some unknown reason, designed to work for ~365 days unless you rarely use this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sad.  It looks like the Dell XPS is a better way to go.  Why fork out $599 for one year of an operational computer?  This was purchased by my employer who spends $$$ on Microsoft Cloud storage.  Seems like they would want to keep big-paying customers happy instead of pawning off **** on formerly loyal customers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Even though I bought this, my company paid for it. I had couple of Macbooks that has this issue and everytime I took it to Apple store, they replaced the battery promptly even though they are more than 5years old. But those are with replaceable batteries.

Now all Microsoft stores are closed (including one in SF), there is no way to take it there like I did last time.

I have to say, Suraface book is the only laptop that gave me consistently good battery life even after couple of years vs any other laptop I owned that use to drop battery life substantially over the years to the point that it is unuseable to run only on battery, but not this. Still to date, this gives me around 6-7 hours of constant coding/browsing/video call (big battery drain on any device).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is how it is bulging and seperating on mine....

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My Surface Book looks very similar to this, but even worse. I received a call back today...finally...from Microsoft about the replacement. The guy apologized and said the person assigned to my case has been in Covid quarantine, which was probably too much information.  Nevertheless, I was given the Microsoft song and dance that it would cost $599 to get a replacement on the defective computer that was a replacement for my previous defective computer. I asked is it really made sense to invest $599 into a computer that would have the same issues in one to two years. He was very apologetic and said he understood my predicament.  He made some comment about not being able to pay $599 out of his own pocket because he has a family to support. This was such an odd comment. I explained to him that I was not asking him to replace the computer, I was asking his company.  I find it so sad that Microsoft puts its employees in a situation that they feel like they have to push the corporate line even though they are well aware that the Surface Book is a poorly designed and defective product.  Shame on Microsoft. Why can't this company just put a disclaimer on their website saying that they are aware of the lithium battery defect in the Surface Book and the potential hazards of this defect, but they will not budge on demanding a $599 replacement fee for a computer that is more than 3 years past purchase, even if they have provided the customer with a defective replacement within the last year or two.  They should also make it clear that they will not stand behind their replacement computers beyond three years from the purchase of the original defective computer.  The Microsoft person I spoke to today said it was okay for me to contact my state attorney general's office to file a complaint about Microsoft's business practices.  Perhaps we all need to do this. I really had such high hopes for the Surface Book.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2021 Views 158 Applies to: