Are the Sleep/Hibernate Problems Still With Us?

After the last round of updates towards the end of May, I thought that my sleep/hibernate problems had been solved as I hadn't had an issue waking up the SB for a little over two weeks.  I was just starting to trust the system when, of course, it let me down and suffered two wake crashes in a row.

Then came this week's updates that appear to be aimed specifically at resolving this issue, so I am once again waiting with baited breath each time that I wake up or open up the SB to see if it--a crash--will occur or not.  Such fun!

Who will be the first one to continue to have the sleep/hibernate crash?  Please post here if it happens to you!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Updated yesterday and made it through one night of Sleep. But like your experience I cannot say yet that the Sleep Crash / Sleep of Death is definitively resolved. The failures are just too random and irregular in interval. It is encouraging that the release notes specifically address Sleep issues so fingers crossed that MS finally zapped this bug. I will be more confident in a week or so and will post my findings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I was so hoping the 6/20 updates would fix the sleep of death issue, but after applying the update it seems to still be present, though a little different. The first instance of my SB going to sleep for a couple of hours resulted in a SOD. Before the latest updates I would open the lid to a black unresponsive screen and a keyboard who's backlight would still light up when keys were pressed. Now after the 6/20 updates I opened the lid to a black screen and a dead keyboard. It was not shut down either. I had to do the 30 second power key press to force it to shut down, waited 10 seconds, and then it restarted fine, however the keyboard and trackpad were still dead and there was no pointer on the screen. I resolved that by detaching the clipboard and reattaching it. Oddly enough the keyboard detach button did work to release the clipboard. Anyways, looks like this issue is still fubar. Oh, and I had disabled hibernate after 120 minutes of sleep, as that seemed to be what used to provoke a SOD before these latest updates. (ie. the SB would wake up if asleep for less that 120 minutes, but would SOD if it slept longer and went to hibernate). I never re-enabled the sleep to hibernate, but unfortunately it now doesn't need that to SOD - so no work around anymore. Ugh!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

J-AlexC,

It sounds like your system is experiencing a different failure mode than most.  In your case, it may be time for a full reinstall to see if that addresses what you're seeing.

The rest of us seem to just have the issue where the system will sometimes reboot when coming out of sleep or hibernation, but there are no problems with the screen or keyboard.

Good luck!

So many bits, so little time...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate the response. I'm thinking it may have just been an anomaly as I haven't had it SOD since. I still haven't re-enabled the 120 minute hibernate from sleep. Since the sleep power consumption issue seemed to have been resolved a while back there isn't a whole lotta need for hibernation. The battery drain during sleep is pretty negligible at this point.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, the problems are still with us but it seems far fewer people than in the past.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of the lucky ones and my SB still crashes during sleep, albeit less frequently.  Moreover, it now always "resumes," be that a true resume from where I left off or a "resume" from crash.  The days of the black screen upon resume are now gone for me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not running any of the insider builds on my Surface Book i7/16GB/512GB.

I installed the June 20th update 6 days ago. At that time I also reset my Surface Book to the Power Defaults.

So far my Surface Book has slept without a problem.

I've been out of my office with my Surface Book in my Messenger Bag and sleeping has worked on battery.

I office out of my home and I've had no problem sleeping when attached to the charger days at a time.

My Event Viewer shows 0 (Zero) Critical Errors for the last 7 days!

So far, so good!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gary,

I also, am not running insider builds.....I have the i7/16GB/512GB.

I also installed the June 20th update. I also reset my Surface Book to the Power Defaults.

Unfortunately, I get a 'Black Screen' when resuming from sleep!

Any suggestions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gary,

I also, am not running insider builds.....I have the i7/16GB/512GB.

I also installed the June 20th update. I also reset my Surface Book to the Power Defaults.

Unfortunately, I get a 'Black Screen' when resuming from sleep!

Any suggestions?

If you are resuming from sleep and the sleep has been longer than two hours, then sleep has gone to Hibernate. If sleep has gone to Hibernate then a black screen is what you should have. Because to wake up from Hibernate requires you to press the Power Button.

You know you are waking from Hibernate because it wakes up quickly after Face recognition.

Also when you wake up from Hibernation, everything that was open will still be open.

After you wake up, if you right click on the Start Button and then choose Event Viewer you can then tell if it was a normal Hibernate Wake Up as there will not be a Critical Error in the past hour column.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Gary, but,

You said.....

"""If you are resuming from sleep and the sleep has been longer than two hours, then sleep has gone to Hibernate. If sleep has gone to Hibernate then a black screen is what you should have. Because to wake up from Hibernate requires you to press the Power Button""""""

After I get the 'Black screen' it doesn't matter what I press.......the power button/any key (the keyboard is still active....backlights still function).

The only way to get the computer back up and running is by a hard reset (power button depressed for 15seconds ish).

I will try disabling Hibernate after 120mins (set it to 'Hibernate Never'), hopefully this should stop any 'black Screen' events?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ouch! I have not seen this with mine. I'm now 7 days from the June 20th update and still sleep works as it should.

Have you done a complete reset to start with a clean machine? I do this every few months because it is so easy to do when all my data is on Microsoft OneDrive, my apps are all subscriptions and my password manager is LastPass.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2021 Views 1,640 Applies to: