Surface pro x, wont install wd passport

I'm not very technical

I use my surface pro x for editing photos 

I bought a 2tb wd passport 

It downloads the software but wont install and says it has problems 

Can anyone help?? 

Thanks 

Hi, AndrewTurnbull4!

Thanks for reaching Microsoft Community. We are sorry to learn you have issues installing a software you downloaded for your 2TB WD Passport on your Surface Pro X. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this. Are you trying to install the software needed for your WD Passport?

If so, it might have something to do with compatibility of the software with the ARM chip in the Surface Pro X. Please check this page to know more about Windows 10 ARM-based PCs

• 64-bit (x64) apps won’t work. You'll need 64-bit (ARM64) apps, 32-bit (ARM32) apps, or 32-bit (x86) apps. You can usually find 32-bit (x86) versions of apps, but some app developers only offer 64-bit (x64) apps.

For the meantime, please locate the .exe file you downloaded in the File Explorer. Once you have it, please right-click and choose Troubleshoot Compatibility. Also, you can visit this page to guide you the compatibility troubleshooter.

If it will not run, you may need to check with the developer of the software you wish to install if they have an app that can run on ARM-based devices. 

We hope this helps you out, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you. 

Kind regards,                                                                                                                 

Janette_Z          

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, AndrewTurnbull4!

Thanks for reaching Microsoft Community. We are sorry to learn you have issues installing a software you downloaded for your 2TB WD Passport on your Surface Pro X. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this. Are you trying to install the software needed for your WD Passport?

If so, it might have something to do with compatibility of the software with the ARM chip in the Surface Pro X. Please check this page to know more about Windows 10 ARM-based PCs

• 64-bit (x64) apps won’t work. You'll need 64-bit (ARM64) apps, 32-bit (ARM32) apps, or 32-bit (x86) apps. You can usually find 32-bit (x86) versions of apps, but some app developers only offer 64-bit (x64) apps.

For the meantime, please locate the .exe file you downloaded in the File Explorer. Once you have it, please right-click and choose Troubleshoot Compatibility. Also, you can visit this page to guide you the compatibility troubleshooter.

If it will not run, you may need to check with the developer of the software you wish to install if they have an app that can run on ARM-based devices. 

We hope this helps you out, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you. 

Kind regards,                                                                                                                 

Janette_Z          

Hi Janet,

I just bought the same device, and I'm experiencing the exact same problem. The partition for the .exe file that is meant to unlock the My Passport, is shown and you can iniziate the autoran which leads to nothing. An error appears saying that you need to install an application found on the CD, yet it is that .exe that is meant to process this. I believe this happens because the partition is shown, but the Surface cannot load informations from the virtual partition that is created. The directory is accessible and editable, but the device cannot be ejected if not from device management. I've tried changing the partition address (from D: To F:, for ex.), it didn't work. Doing all the small fixes that could have solved the problem but none worked. Drivers are up to date, usb ports work perfectly and the My Passport does work on another computer. Could you help me out somehow? Excuse me for having not made myself fully clear, but I'm not really accustomed with the technical language..

Thank you

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2024 Views 423 Applies to: