Apple headphones microphone not working for video calls on microsoft surface pro 7

I use video call a lot, but when i plug my wired apple headphones in I can hear fine but the microphone doesn't work. Tried using setting to ensure that the microphone is through the wired headphones but it won't appear, please help!

|

Hi, Matthew Davis (matthewd)!

Thanks for reaching Microsoft Community. We are sorry to learn you have issues with your Apple headphones that is connected to the audio port of your Surface Pro 7. Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this. Can you give us a link to know what specific headphones do you use? This might have something to do with the audio jack of your headset that uses a different headset standard. Let's not delve into that this time though. 

It would be best to check other wired earphones/headphones to test out the microphone if it can capture audio. That way, we can rule out factors if it has something to do with the headset, audio port, settings, software, etc.

For the meantime, kindly go to this page to know How to set up and test microphones in Windows 10. Furthermore, this page will help you out on how to Fix microphone problems. 

If this answers your question, please let our Community know by marking this post as an answer. Otherwise, don't hesitate to respond to this thread if there’s anything else that needs to be addressed. 

Kind regards,                                                                                                                 

Janette_Z

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply! They are standard apple wired headphones, 

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MMTN2ZM/A/earpods-with-lightning-connector?fnode=7a0f91a0f8a7265b50b53925e4dd04b6a134b87918437cfc02eafff61adbde34c7c78875dbe8a100945e0b7e6a55f3a4629594ea1a2f2e3a5ad8d356ab62bb73168b768fad1c65ec94d0b0a3a075a4c86922cb662fd97f1541da05fbd3ed814a227a4cb07056c334ffd4d07fb25121ddeac1787f465bfa518661a983d610fc06&fs=f%3Dheadphone%26fh%3D47d1%252B45f6

We tried it and it appeared that some work but some don't, however it definitely doesn't connect automatically?

I checked the guide link you sent and it's fine for the speaker part, but not for the microphone part, it just doesn't appear?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, Matthew Davis (matthewd).

The link you shared is for EarPods with Lightning Connector. What type of adapter are you using for this? Also, what wired earphones or headsets did you test out that worked and didn't?  Please lay them out here and indicate which works or not. 

If some other wired headsets work, I am afraid it has something to do with compatibility.

Regards,

Janette_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah sorry it has a normal headphone jack, it's old style of apple headphones before they brought in the lighting connector?

We tested some Samsung headphones which worked, but then Sony over ear which didn't!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for clarifying, Matthew Davis (matthewd).

I am afraid that this is compatibility issue since audio jacks are not created the same. It is a good thing that your Samsung headphones work.

Regards,

Janette_Z

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 16, 2021 Views 4,455 Applies to: