Surface Pro 3 USB DVD/CD drives and getting them to work together

Have a Samsung USB DVD drive. My Surface Pro 3 will "see" the drive for purposes such as copying files and folder or photos. It will also play a much CD if placed in the drive. However, if I place a DVD or CD with software to install the Surface will just loop and cycle - making a little sort of beeping noise, and that's about it. The device also sort of disappears when this process is going on. I've fiddled around with the AutoPlay settings and nothing seems to make this happy.

I was able to install some of the software I needed by copying the CD info over to a USB hard drive and then running the Setup from there. But, just can't get the machine to run them from the DVD.

I'm new to Windows 8.1, so this probably isn't helping me figure this out. I get the feeling I just have something set wrong somewhere, but I sure can't figure out what it is.

Thanks

Answer
Answer

I have had the same issue. The USB3 port on the SP3 isn't providing enough power. Until a fix is provided in the form of a firmware updated, (maybe or maybe not) get yourself a usb3-y cable. Plug the secondary USB cable into the charging port on the AC power adapter.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Even with a powered USB hub the device can still not get enough power, depending on the device.

What I had to do for my LG DVD LG DVD drives is use a split USB cable. One connection to the device and two USB connections to the hub. The two connections are one for power and one for data. This works great and can be reasonably purchased from 'MONOPRICE.COM'. I don't remember if the SP3 charger has a USB on it, if not you will need a hub. If it does then put on USB port on the SP3 and one on the charger port.

50 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2021 Views 97,684 Applies to: