Surface Laptop and external monitor, can I use the monitor with the laptop lid closed?

Just as the title states, my wife and I want to add a monitor to our desk, and she just wants the monitor rather than the two displays, and to have her laptop closed. We would be using the mini displayport for the monitor, rather than the super expensive dock, if that matters. Technically I have a Surface 2, and she has a 1. 

Thanks! 

|

Just as the title states, my wife and I want to add a monitor to our desk, and she just wants the monitor rather than the two displays, and to have her laptop closed. We would be using the mini displayport for the monitor, rather than the super expensive dock, if that matters. Technically I have a Surface 2, and she has a 1. 

Thanks! 

Hi Garciawork ,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community.

Yes, you can definitely use the laptop while the lid is closed and show the display on the external monitor.

Here are the ways to make that happen.

First, you have to open Control Panel> View by small icons> Power Options> Choose what closing the lid does> When I close the lid " set to do nothing"> Save changes.

Open Settings>System> Display> Under Multiple Display, set to Extend this Display

Second, If you want to extend the display and let it show on the external monitor only you can go back to this settings:

Open Settings>System> Display> Under Multiple Display, set to Show on second screen only

Please let us know if the information is helpful by marking the thread answered.

Best regards,

GeraldAldrin_T

Microsoft Agent | Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Appreciate the reply. Is there any way to do this that will allow the laptop to still go to sleep with the lid closed, if no monitor is connected? Conversely, if I set it to stay away when the lid is closed and it is connected to power, then unplugged, closed the lid, and replugged in the power, would it stay asleep? My wife doesn't want her laptop always running so it doesn't get and stay hot when not in use.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi 

Thanks for your response. To answer your question. You may go to Control Panel > Hardware and sound> Power Options > System Settings. Or easily type on the search box at the top right of the screen "Power Options" > "Change what closing the lid does".

Their is an option there shows When I close the lid: On battery | Plugged In

You can choose "Sleep" under Plugged in.

I hope that helps, looking forward on your response.

Regards,

Edd

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Appreciate the reply. Is there any way to do this that will allow the laptop to still go to sleep with the lid closed, if no monitor is connected? Conversely, if I set it to stay away when the lid is closed and it is connected to power, then unplugged, closed the lid, and replugged in the power, would it stay asleep? My wife doesn't want her laptop always running so it doesn't get and stay hot when not in use.

Hi Garciawork ,

Thank you for the response. You can set it to sleep while power is plugged in by going back to the same settings.

Control Panel> View by small icons> Power Options> Choose what closing the lid does> When I close the lid under plugged in" set to sleep"> Save changes.

Hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

GeraldAldrin_T

Microsoft Agent | Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2021 Views 963 Applies to: