Surface Book won't use dedicated GPU

Whenever I run games, my Surface Book uses the integrated graphics instead of the dedicated GPU:

The GPU shows up in Device Manager and in the NVIDIA Control Panel, but in the former it appears as "NVIDIA GeForce GPU" rather than with a specific name:

I've tried a few things:

• Right-clicking the executable for a game and selecting "Run with graphics processor" and "High-performance NVIDIA processor (default)", where "Integrated graphics" and "Change default graphics processor..." were other options.
  • Setting the "Preferred graphics processor" to "High-performance NVIDIA processor" in the NVIDIA Control Panel, where "Auto-select" and "Integrated graphics" were other options.
  • Setting Power mode to "Best performance" via the battery icon in the Windows notification area.
  • Connecting the laptop to a power source to not use the battery.
  • Running Windows update and rebooting.
  • Uninstalling the GPU from the Device Manager, with the option to also uninstall the driver checked; scanning for hardware changes; and updating the driver for the GPU. The whole process was successful but did not resolve the issue.

What further steps can I take to make the laptop use the dedicated graphics card?

|
Answer
Answer

Hi,

"NVIDIA GeForce GPU" is the expected name on the original Surface Book.

In addition to checking the NVIDIA control panel settings, as you have done, you should also check to see what the Windows 10 graphics performance preference is set to for the apps you are using. From Start, select Settings > System > Display > Graphic settings. In addition, check the app for any in app settings. If your app has a setting for what GPU to use, that setting will override any of the system preferences.

Since you've tried almost all possible solutions, we suggest that you run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. The toolkit runs your Surface through a series of tests. These tests are designed to cover everything from making sure the latest patches and drivers are installed. Please refer to this article for more information on how to run the toolkit.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 27, 2021 Views 35,949 Applies to: