External monitor not getting signal from Surface Dock when resuming from sleep.

When my Surface Pro 2 resumes from sleep while in the Surface Dock, it does not put video out to the external monitor. Since I have it configured to only display on the external monitor when docked, I don't have any display. The keyboard wakes up, the USB hub in the monitor wakes up, and the monitor itself wakes up but then goes quickly back to sleep.

The only way to resolve it is to unplug the mini-displayport connector or re-dock the Surface. This is highly repeatable behavior. I have a Surface Pro 2 with a Surface Dock and a Dell U2913WM. I have the same setup at work with a Surface Pro (original) and don't experience the problem.

Question Info

Last updated June 12, 2019 Views 4,351 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Tboggs13

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with your Surface Pro 2, the Surface Dock and an external monitor.  Any pending updates?  Does this behavior happen if you do a full shut down instead of sleep?  Identical monitor as your setup at work?  Have you verified that the settings are the same as the Pro at work?  Have you tried your Pro 2 with the setup at work? Also, is your Surface Pro 2 going into Sleep, or Hibernate?

Best regards

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a Surface Pro 2 with a dock and external Lenovo monitor (connected via display port) and I too see this behaviour. If I undock, work on the Surface and re-dock it fires up the external display no problem, but if the Surface goes to sleep, hibernate or I shut it down, then re-dock and fire up, the external display does not come on. Again, as with Tboggs13, the only way to re-start the external display is to unplug the display port cable and plug it back in. Seems there is an issue of sorts in here that needs investigating please.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been doing some testing over the Holidays and so far have found that it is not the dock itself causing the problem. I had my original Surface Pro docked from Friday to Wednesday night and didn't have any problems. Everything worked like it should. Last night I went through every power setting I could find and matched it exactly with the settings on the original Surface Pro.

This morning, I had to press the power button to get the Surface Pro 2 to wake up. When it did, it only showed on the Surface display. Once I hit a key on the Surface keyboard - my USB keyboard/mouse didn't wake - it found the external monitor.

Then, after about an hour I returned and the external monitor would not come on. I pressed a button on the Surface keyboard and the Surface woke up but the external monitor would not resume until I undocked and re-docked the Surface. I even tried unplugging the monitor cable, but that didn't help.

This really seems like a driver issue with the Surface Pro 2.

Sorry this didn't help.

Since my last post, the external display went to sleep while I was using it. Had to redock to get it to wake up. As stated before, did not have ay of these problems with the original Surface Pro during 6 continuous days docked.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings all,

Have you done a Refresh on your Surface then applied all Windows Updates, restarting when prompted, checked for any additional updates and are still experiencing the issue?
Thank you for posting,

Steven B

Sorry this didn't help.

I have not done that with this Surface Pro 2, but I did with the previous one.

I was hopeful that the December Firmware update would have resolved the issue, but apparently not. I applied the new firmware yesterday and this morning the external display was again in sleep mode and would not wake.

Sorry this didn't help.

I contacted Dell support and they recommended that I disable DisplayPort 1.2 since I am not daisy-chaining monitors. Since that change, the monitor has been waking up normally.

I had tried this for a day before the December updates and it didn't help. Perhaps the combination of the firmware/driver updates with the DP setting on the monitor is the fix. However, it wasn't a problem with the first gen Surface Pro.

I do wonder if the problem would persist with someone that has daisy chained monitors.

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

I have an SP3 with a Surface Dock (not the docking station; the power cord doc for sp3/4/book)

I have this exact same issue, for some reason my SP3 goes to sleep, even though sleep on power is disabled.

When it wakes up, the monitor does not reconnect.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this same issue with my SP3 with a docking station.  Whenever the SP3 goes to sleep, i no longer have signal sent to the Acer monitor upon waking.  I have to redock and restart.  Thoughts on how to fix this?  I have the same docking station and a Sony monitor at another location that does not have this same problem.  I have swapped docks and monitor connection cables and it still does it.  So the issue has something to do with either the SP3 or the monitor. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem on my SP4 with the new surface dock. Most of the time if the surface goes to sleep on waking up there is no signal going to the monitor. I have to unplug the surface from the dock and then it works again. I've tried two docks and the problem is the same. The monitor is a new Dell U2715H using their mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

I have set my surface not to go to sleep, just blank the screen after 10 minutes. That also seems to stop the monitor working. I'm not 100% sure if the surface is ignoring the do not sleep, even though it is not set to sleep in any of the power options.

I am only using one monitor and DisplayPort 1.2 is disabled.

Sorry this didn't help.