Question

Q: Surface Pro 3 with NetGear Nighthawk dog slow internet on 5ghz. Time to Return the Surface Pro 3?

I just purchased a Surface Pro 3. (latest wireless Maravell driver)

I have a NetGear Nighthawk R8000 AC router. (latest firmware version) 

On the Surface pro I have ridiculously slow internet on the 5g and 5g2 bands. By slow I mean below 5 mbps. On the 2 ghz band I get around 50 mbps . I have other devices in the household which use the 5g and 5g2 bands with no issues (~90 mbps). 

I tried rolling back to the previous version (15.68.3073.151) for the Marvell Avastar wireless. This was worse, limited connectivity on all  bands). Even if this worked I would need to turn off Windows updates or it would probably be replaced. 

I hate buying a new product and have to monkey around to get (what is advertised as) AC wireless speeds, especially at the price of the SP3. Any last options I can try before I return the SP3? 

Tom

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Tom,

Are you running Windows 10  or 8.1? I know you said the latest firmware, but please supply the version number. Are you in the USA?

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Barb,

Windows 8.1 and yes in the US.

the Marvell AVASTAR version is 15.68.3091.193  dated 6/24/2015

Thanks,

Tom

Tom

Sorry this didn't help.

Nighthawk firmware number is V1.0.2.44
Tom

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you using the 'smart connect'? If you disable smart connect and use different SSID names for the two 5GHz bands and connect the 5GHz -2 does the situation improve? Or is that how you are set up now?
Barb
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

Barb,

No smart connect. I have three different bands 2.5, 5g and 5g2.

Tom

Tom

Sorry this didn't help.

One last thing before I try to escalate further - can you go into device manager and UNINSTALL the Marvell driver, do NOT delete it and restart. Let the Surface reinstall the driver. It should reinstall 193.

Let me know the status after you do this.

Barb
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

Barb,

Ok, uninstalled and rebooted, no change. It reinstalled the 193 driver.

Thanks

Tom

Tom

Sorry this didn't help.

I've sent this in to my contact. It might be worth you while if you are near a physical Microsoft Store to go there and see if they will swap you out for a new SP3 with W10 pre-loaded to see if you have the same issue. Rather than return yours.

That is what I would do if it were me.

Even if you purchased somewhere other than MS, if you are near a store, they should still swap you out.

Barb
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

Barb,

Thanks for the advice. It was purchased thru Amazon. My issue is if I swap it out and I still have problems Amazon will no longer take it back (because it is not the same machine). Seems like the best option is to return it. This seems like an issue between the wireless card and the netgear router. I am guessing it is software related but I could be wrong.

Tom 

Tom

Sorry this didn't help.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you order from Amazon and did you intentionally choose Windows 8.1 instead of getting Windows 10 pre-installed? I'm wondering if we're not looking at something like a bad batch of hardware that Amazon had in stock.

I ordered mine (SP3, i5, 128 GB) on 8/7/2015 and got it with Windows 10 pre-installed. Mine is having similar problems with an ASUS RT-AC68U. It works fine with other routers (like at work or at parents' house), but those are 802.11n and not 802.11ac. I borrowed a co-worker's SP3 (with even the same specs as mine) that she's had for a while now, took it home, and it runs at full-speed with my router, Windows 10 (upgraded), and the same driver version.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,737 Last updated: May 18, 2018 Applies to: