I just got a brand new Surface 2 64GB for christmas, and everything is super cool except one big problem that is driving me really mad!
Here what happens:
1) Every time I buy a new device the first thing I do is Re-Formatting it and updating it with the latest drivers/software before doing anything else, so I did a Restore of my Surface 2 through USB, then launched Windows Update and did every update including the December Firmare Update (10/12), installing it successfully without any errors or problem;
2) After reboot I noticed that my Surface still have some graphical glitch and problems (it crashed while in Standby and receiving a Skype call), so I checked the Tegra 4 Drivers info from my devices, and...SURPRISE: both display/audio/miracast and all Tegra 4 components drivers are still the STOCK one, and weren't updated since...August! The display driver version is still: "126.96.36.19972" where I should have the latest one coming with the Firmware update: "188.8.131.5267" (released on November), and so on with any other Tegra 4 component... ;
3) I tried to update them manually (Device Manager still finds the display 184.108.40.20667 ones, and let me check them!), but after a "Success" message they still remain at the August/STOCK version, same with the others :(
4) I tried both Refresh and then Restore (wiping everything) 4-5 times, but without luck: still the STOCK one even after a total Reset and re-doing the Windows Update install..
5) I am desperate! I can't even switch S2 back at my store cause they are out of stock, and these days around christmas are really a chaos :( I also checked on the web and MANY people are reporting similar problems, example here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surf2-surfupdate/my-graphics-driver-isnt-updating/85a74923-8b3d-40bc-8285-5c85fbce45f3
And you can see a picture demonstrating the problem here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=aa3b180c21be0d1c&id=AA3B180C21BE0D1C%216544&v=3&ithint=photo,.png&authkey=!AAdpXLa67DM2MQQ
My question is: is there a way to manually fix this or Microsoft can solve/update the drivers once and for all in a later update? Is my S2 broken or it's just software-related problem? Should I wait the next updates or take back my Surface 2?
Update: I see everywhere BSOD problems and drivers update problems after Refresh/Restore on ANY machine (Surface 2) by now, this is a serious problems that MS need to fix ASAP for who Refreshed/Restored its device, and cannot wait till 14th January: we need fully working updated drivers right now!
UPDATE #2: Not only Tegra 4 display drivers will fail to install, but
ALL the December update/drivers except Firmware will.
Anyway, I found a manual solution for now, and it worked for me:
FINAL SURFACE 2 BSOD/DRIVERS PROBLEM QUICKFIX:
- RESET Surface 2 to factory settings from USB recovery Drive: wipe everything, and re-partition (entering the Bit-Locker key, and clearing TPM pushing Volume Up button if requested) too. This will PERMANENTLY FIX further BSoDs when trying to Refresh/Restore directly from the device. It will always work fine after this;
- Before doing anything else, go to Windows Update and download/install ALL OS updates FIRST, and only AFTER that -> install latest Firmware/Drivers updates pack. Reboot;
- ALL drivers should update correctly without errors and without any other tricks or workaround after this, and all your Nightmares should be finally over.
(And you shouldn't have any more bad errors in EventLog or Reliability Report too)
And there's more, you would successfully upgrade to newer firmware without any problem from now on.
THANKS for listen!