Question

Bit Locker Recovery Key Requested at Boot Time

Andrew Lowson asked on

Hi,

At the weekend our two Surface 2 devices got a firmware update installed. My Surface 2 updated and rebooted fine with no issues.

But my wife's Surface 2 (64GB model) asked for the Bitlocker Recovery key at boot after the update, and now every time it reboots. Although I have the key this is very poor end user experience.

Especially as I am trying to sell her the Surface 2 over an iPad.

Any assistance in this would be most welcome.

Kind Regards,

Andrew

57 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Tod Edwards replied on

Hi,

Microsoft released an update for this today, for Surface 2 devices, as reflected in KB article 2921482.  Please check for Windows updates and install the latest updates.

Here's how to check for updates manually:

Step 1: Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Settings.   (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Settings.)

Step 2: Tap or click Change PC settings, tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Windows Update. 

Step 3: Tap or click Check now. 

Step 4: If there are updates available, tap or click View details. 

Step 5: Tap or click to select the ones you want to install, and then tap or click Install.  You may need to restart Surface after the updates have been installed. 

Thanks!

5 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Tony_Du replied on

Hi Andrew,

Sorry to hear about your issue with BitLocker on your wife's Surface 2 asking for a key at boot. First, please make sure you have all Windows and Surface updates through Windows Update and the App store. If that does not work, please try the article on Refreshing and resetting your Surface 2 here.

Can you verify if BitLocker is enabled or disabled on both devices? You can Enable/disable BitLocker by going to Desktop and follow these steps:

1. Swipe Right to Left to bring up the Charm.

2. Choose Settings

3. Choose Control Panel

4. Select BitLocker Drive Encryption

5. Verify whether BitLocker is on or off on each device.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you for posting,
Tony
4 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Andrew Lowson replied on

Hi Tony,

Thanks for that and I thought of turning BL off but with Windows RT 8.1 it appears that turning BL off is not possible.

Seems a very strange issue as we have two identical Surface 2 in the house with identical updates but two different behaviours.

Cheers,

Andrew

3 people found this helpful

Abuse history

chelseaMS replied on

Abuse history

daysleeper55 replied on
I had the same issue.  I advised my mother in law to get a Surface over an iPad, but it is now asking for Bit Locker recovery keys.  I have managed to recover it for her.  I hope it doesn't happen again. 

Abuse history

James Godfrey replied on
I am also seeing a bitlocker recovery key prompt for my Surface 2 after a firmware update. It only happens once for me though and reboots are fine.
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

JakeTolentino Whaley replied on

This is the second time this stupid bitlocker has ask me to enter the key. I don't really mind if it is like 10 numbers, but it is like 25. And the assistance advice, you can't even see where bitlocker drive encryption is. The only thing in the control panel is how to get a copy of your key. This is annoying, I may have to return this surface for an IPad if this happens all the time one more time then I am done.
8 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Arnaud_ replied on

I had the same problem last week. Called support, they ensured I had all the updates, made me reset / resinstall. Unfortunately, after the updates from last night, it asked again for the recovery key.
Arnaud
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

jimh123456789 replied on

Same thing just happened to me after an update.  What a PITA.   I then spent several minutes staring at "We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you (0% complete)".  I gave up and did another hard reboot - eventually it booted, maybe lost a couple of settings (for example now it requires a login from the lock screen) but seems ok otherwise.,

Abuse history

WimPanhorst replied on

It happened twice also for me on my Surface 2 RT. The first time it happened was a week ago, and as I had no spare PC nearby I regenerated the PC, But today it happened once more. This time I could retrieve the bitlocker code and could enter it successfully. In both cases the bitlocker problem showed up after I restarted the Surface 2 after it had been switched off for some hours. Normally this goes fine, but sometimes apparently it doesn't like it.

I can see in Control Panel  that my C: drive is Bitlocker-encrypted. But I can't see in Control Panel how to switch this feature off, which seems also diificult to do in normal running situations. As I don't want to carry the bitlocker key with me everytime I take the Surface 2 out for a walk, I would like to disable bitlocking. Can Microsoft please inform how to do this? Can it be done as part of the disk initialisation process during a rebuild of the Surface?

Thanks.

/Wim

Abuse history

WimPanhorst replied on

Hej Tony_Du,

Is there any progress in solving this issue? The problem is very annoying. Owners of a Surface 2 who have this problem, and I am one of them, can’t be sure that the device is able to run when they need it!!!

Thanks,

/Wim

Abuse history