Surface 2 Speaker/Sound Problems

I just purchased two new Surface 2's and I am noticing a significant reduction in volume from the speakers compared to my old Surface RT.  The speakers also lack any kind of bass.  They are very "tinny" and shallow sounding.  When using headphones, there is plenty of bass sound and the volume level is not an issue.

I am also experienceing a significant amount of sound crackling (from the speakers and attached headphones) when streaming video from Amazon Instant Video using both the desktop and metro versions of IE.  I do not experience this crackling problem with other sound sources like Xbox music, gaming, or other website streaming video (i.e. YouTube).

Since I was experiencing this on two different Surface 2's, it seems unlikely that this is a hardware issue.  This is most likely a software/driver issue.  Is there anything that I can do to resolve this problem, other than wait for a possible software or firmware update?

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated June 9, 2019 Views 17,606 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Brought the Surface 2 home last night.  Such an improvement over my 1st gen in every way!  Totally in love with it.  However, I notice a weird issue with websites that stream video using flash in Internet Explorer.  When streaming video from Amazon Prime or Xfinity, the performance seems pretty good when audio is played through the built in speakers.  Plug in some headphones, although, and the audio starts to skip and stutter.  This happens when using Metro IE and Desktop IE.  Also tried multiple wired headphones and observed the same problem.  Anyone else see this issue?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I also noticed this problem, but specifically with Amazon Instant Video.  The only other web streaming that I tested was YouTube, and that audio sound fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would like to add that I am also suffering from the same problem.  My speakers lack bass and are annoyingly quiet when compared to my original Surface RT.  Furthermore, I get frequent audio pops when using computers speaker or headphones. 

Sorry this didn't help.

my speaker has cracking noise when playing loud with certain songs.  is this a software or hardware problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, youtube seems fine.  The other site was http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/.  Which I suppose uses flash in a similar way.  Its kind of a bummer since I was hoping to watch a lot of Amazon Prime shows. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I created a similar thread about this.  It sure seems like a flash codec or driver issue.  Hopefully, we'll get an update to resolve this problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

My speakers popped and shut down. I restarted, now they sound as though I'm listening through a tube. Maybe this one needs to be exchanged...

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this problem as well. I went into the speakers properties and under advanced unchecked enable audio enhancements...I no longer have crackling coming from the speakers with xbox music but now its not quite as loud :(   

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problema with XBOX Music or Yotube playback when playing music. It occurs when volumen is at max and only in cenrtain parts of the song, the speaker cracks a bit.

Hardware problem? Should I change my device?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem with Amazon Instant Video - constant crackle through both the headphones and speakers. Other sites including YouTube, HBOGO, Epix, etc. seem fine. I also tried disabling audio enhancements as suggested by Jon5798, but didn't see any improvement.

Aside from that I couldn't be happier with the Surface 2, hopefully we'll see an update to resolve this issue soon.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.