Battery drain with Unregistered device SE?

Hi all, 

Lately I've been noticing a large battery drain (at least by my standards) of ~1-2% per hour during connected standby. Based on what's advertised (7-10 days idle) I'm getting ~4 days at best? I ran the sleep study, battery report and energy report and came up with interesting results. I've also calibrated the battery and have no current pending updates. Any ideas as to why the large battery drain during standby? 

Also sorry in advance for the long post. I'm not sure how to post the full reports on this forum. 

Question Info

Last updated July 30, 2018 Views 2,170 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have always had this 'unknown' device.  My assumption is that it is the Tegra graphics device, because it is missing in your (my) report and it appears in other people's reports.  See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surf2-surfhardware/noticing-faster-battery-drain-after-february/9197b834-5259-4337-89a0-4b31ce95d960 for example.

As to why it is missing and showing as unknown?  My opinion is it's because the device is in some way faulty and is the reason for display errors that occur (SoD, battery drain ...).  However, I don't think it is now causing battery issues for me any more.  I'm getting 1% in 3hrs during connected standby. 

View your Reliability History and see if there is a Video hardware failure at some point in the past.  I was getting dozens (and dozens) of display errors in the log, which seemed to be waking the S2 all the time.  Check logs.  Now have a replacement - very few display errors now, but still HW error - see below - and the Unregistered device.

Have you a type cover?  That is causing issues for some?

I uninstalled KB2883200 last month and it 'seemed to make a big difference to battery life.  Try it. 

See WPC forum - http://forums.wpcentral.com/microsoft-surface-2/268732-3.htm#post2432297

This update is replaced by later 'roll-ups', such as April's big update, so you're safe.

See before and after -

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've checked my reliability history and I have only one noticible hardware error but none recently. In the case of the rollback of KB2883200 I did uninstall that update a while back and reinstalled the subsequent update. I haven't noticed any dramatic changes in battery life since.

Seeing as thou this issue seems widespread I'm hoping it's something that can be changed in a future update?

Sorry this didn't help.

I forgot to mention that I do have a type cover 2 attached 99% of the time. I read issues regarding the type cover waking the device in standby by some have found that avoiding pressing the power button and closing with the type cover corrects this problem. I'm experimenting with that now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Strange that you also get a HW error so early in the life of the device - or following a refresh.  I do believe there is some inherent issue with the display hardware.  Check the Event Viewer/Custom Views/Admin Events for display (4101) errors.  My previous S2 was spewing out these and was a cause of battery drain.

I also have a desktop and touch-screen laptop running W8.1-update and neither of them have such poor reliability record or error log entries.  Many apps, and maybe drivers too, really seem to have big problems with connected standby.  Needs to be sorted.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yup just like you said I have a bunch of 4101 "warnings" not errors. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. It hasn't happened in the last few days thou. Does this mean I need to get a replacement sense its a hardware issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

That doesn't look too bad.  On my original device there were many more in bursts, coinciding with SoDs and slow wakes.  Also it would occur all night - keeping device awake.

Your battery drain still isn't solved.  I'd be inclined to consider a replacement.  What's to lose?

Sorry this didn't help.

True. I was hoping that it was a simple fix so I wouldn't have to send it in. If I do send it in, how does that process work? Do I get a new surface or a refurbished one? How long does the process usually take? I'm curious because I'm currently using my surface for school and I only have a few weeks left until summer.

Also thank you for all the responses! I really appreciate it!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi takoman,

Thank you for your question regarding the return/exchange process. For any information about the exchange process, please refer to Answer Desk.

Sincerely,
Shiho_P

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have this "Unregistered Device SE" and I'm on my third replacement unit.. this is the first time I've seen this in the sleep study, and I feel that this unit by far has the worst battery life of the others!

That being said, I still get a good days use of it!

I was in a long conversation with tech support about this issue, and they would dig deeper into this, so I will report back if anything come up. I would very much prefers not to send this in again, since everything else seems to be running smoothly.

My guess is, that this "Unregistered Device SE" is a fault, driver or hardware, on a new production iteration of the Surface 2.. since my current unit is said to have been made in March! I'm hoping this is resolved in next weeks firmware update!

Sorry this didn't help.

I was talking to a rather friendly and actually tech savvy supporter the other day, and he said that the display error message was actually related to the Type/touch covers! It has something to do with the hardware addressing when setting up the OS the first time, and the display driver not being able to handle the addressing probably!

He recommended me to try a refresh (did a full reinstall tho) of the unit, WITHOUT the cover attached.... and I can say, that I got like 10-20 display errors before the reset, and going a week now, I haven't had a single error! :)

Sorry this didn't help.