Yellow discolorations on Surface Book - Out of warrenty swap

Just off the phone with MS (Aug2017) who contacted my local MS store for inventory check and cost.  Resolution for an out of warranty Surface Book (purchased March2016).

Informed that for $800+ dollars the MS store will request to build / Obtain another I7, 16 gb , 512 gb MS Surface Book, ship to store and swap defective MS Surface Book and provide a 90 day warranty on the device.  

Suggestion for all the Surface book owners, watch your screen carefully while under warranty.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

I got the same discoloration pattern. Moreover, my screen begin to bulge and lift up from the frame.

It is even worse, Microsoft Thailand won't take any responsibility at all. I am willing to pay but they don't accept.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I got the same discoloration pattern. Moreover, my screen begin to bulge and lift up from the frame.

It is even worse, Microsoft Thailand won't take any responsibility at all. I am willing to pay but they don't accept.

oh Microsoft, you could REALLY gain some customer loyalty if you would correct this defect on your flagship laptop for some soon to be not so loyal customers.
Professional Developer

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I could not agree more with you.

I start to admit that buying this expensive laptop is one of the mistake i regret.

after 1.5 years, it is almost unusable.

I can only prevent my friends and the one I love from purchasing this poor quality laptop from this careless manufacturer.

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Amen to that.  I am utterly and completely fed up with my surface book problems.  I'm currently on the 3rd replacement and am out of warranty, and the same hardware problem is starting again.  They want $700 for a refurb replacement out of warranty.  No way.  That money is going to be spent on a much more reliable and dependable company like Lenovo. X1 yoga here I come.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Amen to that.  I am utterly and completely fed up with my surface book problems.  I'm currently on the 3rd replacement and am out of warranty, and the same hardware problem is starting again.  They want $700 for a refurb replacement out of warranty.  No
way.  That money is going to be spent on a much more reliable and dependable company like Lenovo. X1 yoga here I come.

I'm looking else where also.  HP is my lead candidate.  Congrats MS, you annoyed me beyond belief with your lack of windows 10 mobile support (see other threads) and now you've screwed me on the surface book hardware by selling a product which slowly self-destructs after 18 months. It is like the old Mission Impossible tape recorder.  "Thank you Mr. Phelps, should any of your IMF be caught or killed the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your existence.... <smoke>pppsssssstttsssss</smoke>"

It is one thing to produce a flawed product and then stand behind it to make the customer happy while solving the customer's problem at a reasonable cost.

It is another to produce a flawed product and then offer a solution with the VERY same flawed product that comes with a 1/9 warranty as the original flawed product at a price that approaches 1/2 the replacement cost of a competitor's comparable product. 

Professional Developer

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

UPDATE: 06Dec2017 - Attempting a different approach, had some success

Received this email yesterday:

Sent: Monday, December 04, 2017 1:21 PM

To: Rosin, David

Subject: SRXxxxxxxxxxID - Expanded Battery

Service Request xxxxxxxxxx

Hi David,

My name is Ramonte, and I am reaching out to you from the Microsoft corporate offices regarding the issue you reported.

Thank you for sending in the requested pictures. I have placed an order for a replacement Surface to be sent out to you, and you should receive an email with the order details soon. You should receive another email with tracking information once the device has shipped.

Due to the nature of the issue with your device, we must collect the device in a specific way.  You will be contacted by our collection team sometime soon about pick up of the defective device.  Please keep the device until they can collect it from you.  It can take several weeks to start and complete the collection process, but you can arrange the times that are most convenient for you with the collection team once they have reached out to you. The courier that will arrange collection will be a third-party company, so please do not be alarmed if they are not directly from Microsoft. Please do not ship the Surface yourself, even if your replacement comes with a prepaid label.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know by replying to this email

Based on the FedEx tracking supplied by MS, the replacement is scheduled for delivery today (06Dec2017)

Once MS (or its contractor) reviewed the requested pic's of the surface's bulging screen, the replacement was shipped in 72 hrs.  Note that it took MS/Contractor 14 days to review the pic's before the replacement was ordered. 

Evidently there is some concern on MS's part for liability for fire/explosion.  I deduce this from some of the details involved with returning the defective surface.  Maybe the lessons learn from the Samsung Galaxy debacle have begun to take root.

Professional Developer

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue, yellow discoloration on the screen, bulging screen . I think MS should replace these units as this is a manufacturing defect.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue, yellow discoloration on the screen, bulging screen . I think MS should replace these units as this is a manufacturing defect.

As of 23Dec2017 the old surface is ready to be sent back to the vendor MS has contracted with as HAZERDOUS MATERIAL and the new Surface is up and running on my domain.

Thank you M.S. for following thru

Professional Developer

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 9, 2022 Views 2,827 Applies to: