Wifi Trouble with Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller

Hello Experts,

I am facing issue accessing my WiFi SSID's with my surface pro 6 using Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller. I am using Win 11 and have updated the network device drivers to 15.68.17022.122.

It was all working fine earlier - but now i have new modem and it is using Security mode as WPA2-WPA3-psk. Does the Marvell Avastar support this?

Strangely when i forget SSID and connect again - it works for few secs, loads any webpage once - then it does not work after 1 min or so. It still shows connected, but nothing loads.

Weird enough when i hotspot from my phone - it all works fine and no issues at all. I am very confused - not sure why it does not work with my modem SSID's - is it due Security mode not being supported?

Does anyone face this issue - i cant find any other driver for this Marvel Avastar - struck with my surface pro not able to connect to internet. Please assist.

See if PSA: If you're unable to connect to some WiFi networks on your SB2, follow these instructions : Surface (reddit.com) helps. There have been other reports of issues with the Marvell driver with WPA3 and WPA3-WPA2 mixed.

Barb - Windows and Devices for IT MVP
*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks - i tried what was listed in the reddit slide ( both Uninstall and also installing new driver 15.68.17015.112 ) - but it does not work.

Its very disappointing - that MS will leave this dry without supporting their delivered drivers.

This is my only work device and its not working with selecting WiFi SSID - but works with my phone hotspot is very annoying...

can revert to Windows 10 will work ?Any other options to try ? Please assist.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think that using Windows 10 would make a difference (and you would need to wipe and reimage to do this if you installed 11 more than ten days ago).

What is the brand and model of the new router you are having issues with?

I'm an unpaid volunteer and do not work for Microsoft. If you want background on what a Microsoft MVP is, see https://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/Overview and for Volunteer Moderators see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/page/faq#faqWhosWho1

*Please click Yes below if your problem is resolved. This may help others with the same issue.*

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the support and assistance - much appreciated. The new modem i have is from Telstra (service provider).

Modem make: Technicolor

Modem model: CobraXh

The security modes offered are

I understand WPA2 PSK is no longer supported in Windows - hence i am struck now with not able to use surface at all. Is there any other options - i am sure i am not the only one with this issue?

Will complete reimage work or WiFi dongle ? i dont want to spend another $$$ for just this issue. Hope you can assist further. thanks again for all the assistance offered.

Cheers

Ganu

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ganu,

You certainly CAN use WPA2. I am currently connected using WPA2 on Windows 11

I'm wondering if you are using the same SSID name as I believe this modem/router out of the box does not have separate names for the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. You should try renaming one of the SSIDs first. If that does not work, then try WPA2 (and make sure the SSIDs still have separate names).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much Barb - much appreciated. Its working now.

I updated the Modem SSID to be split into 2.4 and 5 Ghz. The Surface is connecting only to 2.4 Ghz and its working. Tried changing the security mode to WPA2 and WPA2-WPA3 - it works in both.

Looks like its the Band - causing the issue - strangely. Not sure why though. Any thoughts ?

Anyway thanks a lot - seems to be working for now - will see how it goes in next few days.

How to prevent automatic network driver update in Windows 11?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you manually set the 5GHz channel in that modem/router admin interface? If yes, you can try changing the 5GHz channel.

As for blocking the update, try this tool https://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab 

Here is a video on how to use the Show/Hide tool

How to Use wushowhide To Hide Windows Updates - YouTube

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 7,581 Applies to: