Wi-Fi 6 on Surface Pro 7 not identifying networks

Hello,

I have had the Surface Pro 7 for a week now and the wireless has stopped identifying networks.  I performed a network reset and that fixed the problem for a couple days.  When I tried to connect tonight the same issue occurred, however resetting the network did nothing this time.  I've attempted to update the drivers however they are up-to-date.  The device apparently can't start (Code 10).  Not sure what to do at this point besides return the device as defective.

Question Info

Last updated December 13, 2019 Views 253 Applies to:

Hello,

I have had the Surface Pro 7 for a week now and the wireless has stopped identifying networks.  I performed a network reset and that fixed the problem for a couple days.  When I tried to connect tonight the same issue occurred, however resetting the network did nothing this time.  I've attempted to update the drivers however they are up-to-date.  The device apparently can't start (Code 10).  Not sure what to do at this point besides return the device as defective.

Hi ILINIRUNNER88 ,

Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. Can you confirmed what version of the network driver?

The network driver should have this version: 21.40.1.3 

If the driver version is different, you can install the Surface pro 7 drivers / firmware package

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=100419

Kindly check if there's any progress.

Please keep us posted.

Best regards,

GeraldAldrin_T

Microsoft Agent | Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello GeraldAldrin_T,

Thank you for the quick reply.  I check the driver version and it has 21.40.1.3 already installed.  I've also tried to troubleshoot and they system can't fix it either.

Thank you,

Kevin

Sorry this didn't help.

Return as defective and repurchase.
Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello GeraldAldrin_T,

Thank you for the quick reply.  I check the driver version and it has 21.40.1.3 already installed.  I've also tried to troubleshoot and they system can't fix it either.

Thank you,

Kevin

Hi ILINIRUNNER88 ,

Thank you for the quick update. Please try the recommended step by step process to try and fix the issue.

1. Perform a hard reset (hold power button for 20+ sec (release when you see Surface Logo)

2. Open Device Manager > select “Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz” > Right click driver& select “Uninstall Device” > select/check “Delete the driver software for this device”> click “uninstall”

3. Confirm step, driver should no longer be present in Device Manager list

4. Perform a hard reset (hold power button for 20+ sec (release when you see Surface Logo)

5. Install the new driver from the MSI, simply run package (no need to extract package)>  click “next” > accept terms of license agreement > install to default location > approve elevated rights > allow installation to complete > Finish (Do not restart, click “no” & proceed to next step) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=100419

6. Perform a hard reset (hold power button for 20+ sec (release when you see Surface Logo) - Last time

7. Confirm correct driver in Device Manager (Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz, driver version 21.40.1.3)

If the issue persists, try doing a USB Recovery Image

Download a recovery image for your Surface

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surfacerecoveryimage

Creating and Using USB Recovery Drive for Surface

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023512/surface-creating-and-using-a-usb-recovery-drive

How to reset your Surface to factory conditions using a downloaded recovery image

1. Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in, and then insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port.

2. Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the power button.

3. When the Microsoft or Surface logo appears, release the volume-down button.

4. When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.

5. Select Troubleshoot , and then select Recover from a drive . If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the screen.

6. Choose either Just remove my files or Fully clean the drive.
The option to clean the drive is more secure but takes much longer. For example, if you’re recycling your Surface, you should clean the drive. If you’re keeping your Surface, you just need to remove your files.

7. Select Recover.
Surface restarts and displays the Surface logo while the reset process continues. This can take several minutes.

Please let me know how the issue progress by responding to this thread. Thank you kindly!

Best regards,

GeraldAldrin_T

Microsoft Agent | Moderator 

Sorry this didn't help.

Gerald,

I am having a very similar issue. I purchased a brand new Surface Laptop 3 two days ago. Spent half the day setting it up, downloading everything off my cloud service, setting up all software etc. Left it downloading stuff over night, came back in the morning to find that the Wifi is disconnected and there is no wifi option. I tried uninstalling the driver following same steps as your recommendations and had no luck. Did a full reset of the PC and went through entire process of setting up the laptop again. The wifi worked for half a day and then same issues again. 

I thought ok i bought a dud. I exchanged it and setup the replacement laptop (also brand new) last night. This morning again EXACT same issue.

I get this error code from troubleshooter:

"The Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz adapter is experiencing driver or hardware related problems" "Not Fixed".

This is extremely infuriating, having set up a brand new laptop 3 times now only to get the same issues. Google searches show that this appears to be a widespread problem on Surface devices. Please advise!

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked!

What fixed it:

Restart into the UEFI firmware. (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023531/surface-how-to-use-surface-uefi)

Navigate to Devices.

Toggle the Wireless and Bluetooth off. (i set bluethoot off too)

Save and restart.

Go back to the UEFI firmware again, then devices, turn Wireless and Bluetooth back on, and finally save and restart. The wireless adapter and Bluetooth should function as expected.

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked for me also but the issue comes back when it is powered up from "Shut Down". I need to toggle the Wifi on/off in UEFI settings very frequently. Does anyone know if it is just a device defect or the firmware itself has issues? I don't want to do a workaround with too many steps in Windows which may break something else that is not covered in warranty.

This worked!

What fixed it:

Restart into the UEFI firmware. (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023531/surface-how-to-use-surface-uefi)

Navigate to Devices.

Toggle the Wireless and Bluetooth off. (i set bluethoot off too)

Save and restart.

Go back to the UEFI firmware again, then devices, turn Wireless and Bluetooth back on, and finally save and restart. The wireless adapter and Bluetooth should function as expected.

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you file a problem report using the Feedback Hub App? Then use Share and get
a link to your report and paste into a reply here.

Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Sorry this didn't help.