Unfortunately the Surface 3 is a not usable device

Dear community,

after I provide my experiences with the German community, I want to hear your opinion:

Preamble:

I bought my Surface 3 as a student to have a device with Windows and the ability to use a pen for markups and notes. I bought the whole bundle with the keyboard, the docking-station and the pen. My Surface 3 already got Windows 10 pre-installed. I thought this would be a good deal, since Windows 10 is made to handle a laptop and a tablet in one operating system. Unfortunately it is not. After several weeks of testing I couldn't identify a single scenario to work with the Surface and have an advantage over using a normal laptop. I report this at this community to hopefully get some answers and tips to let me use my Surface properly.

First Problem: Scaling

OK, this seems to be a problem for a short period (hopefully), but it is very annoying and limits the using time because of eye-problems. The display is very nice and the resolution so high, that only some applications could handle it properly. Most not-microsoft-apps looks very blurred. Deactivating scaling in the compatibility menu make the UI look good, but mostly downsize the size of buttons and text to unusable, particular with the touchscreen. I see this is a problem of the applications in the first place, but it bounds the Surface on Microsoft-Apps and that couldn't be the goal.

Second problem: Reading

As a student I (want/have to) read several documents (PDF/EPUB).

1) Reading PDF

Reading PDF is great with Drawboard. This is a nice app, but it does not provide any export of notes and mark-ups. So it is unusable in a scientific way. The Windows-Reader app not even got a markup-function. I would like to use this great pen to mark-up and note on my PDF-documents and export them to other apps like Word or OneNote. Other Desktop-Apps got this function but they are not really usable in tablet-mode.

2) Reading EPUB

At the moment I don't know any usable EPUB-Reading-App with the mentioned markup and export functions.

Sure this is not the problem of Microsoft, but this is a big usage-limit of this great device.

Third problem: Taking Notes

I don't want to tell much about this problem, as this is mentioned so often at this community.

- Can't use the Top-Button of Pen to start Desktop-OneNote

- OneNote-App useless, because it only works with Cloud or SharePoint

- OneNote 2013 can`t use camera to scan documents (leads to BSOD)

- OneNote 2016 got better usability due to the touch-layout but don't even got the possibility to use the camera as a scanner

Fourth problem: Browsing

In my opinion the Edge is a nice browser for a tablet, but I need my add-ons, so I'm a fan of firefox and the edge is too buggy at the moment and is crashed to often by bigger sites. Again, this is not Microsoft fault, that Mozilla didn't provide a proper version for Windows 8.1 or 10 in the App-Store. But in the end, if there are no usable Apps for your device (even it is a good piece of hardware, as the Surface is) nobody will buy and use it.

Fifth problem: Screen keyboard

The Screen keyboard got three nice modes but the popup function is really bad. In desktop-mode there is no popup if you tap in a text-field. If you activate tablet-mode the keyboard only pops up if you use an App not a Desktop-App. So according to my fourth problem:

I want to browser, sitting on the coach and use my FF-addons and doing other things with Apps. I activate the Tablet Mode and open FF. I tab in the address bar and nothing happens. I have to activate the Desktop-mode again and manually open up the keyboard. This is not really user-friendly at all.

Sixth problem: Gestures

In my opinion the Surface 3 is a nice device overall. The pen is nice either, but why don't Microsoft includes gesture-options ? It would be so nice to control the device with personal stylus gestures or finger gestures. You have to install an external app to get the finger gestures and there is no option to use stylus gestures. In general I think Microsoft missed to include useful features with this great pen. I know this is also mentioned several times, but why can't I change the function of my pens buttons ? This is so sad. This great device is so useless at the moment.

Conclusion

At the moment this device is useless. I see no scenario where my Surface is better than a tablet or my laptop. I want to combine both devices with my Surface 3 but in the end I got a nice useless piece of hardware.

Could anyone please describe any possible scenario how to use this device as a productive device with windows 10?

Could anyone please share their experience with this device as a productive device ?

I really want to use this device more often because I like it, but I prefer using my desktop PC or my laptop atm. This shouldn`t be after buying this 1000$-device.

Best regards,

Alex

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Hi Dax,

thanks for your reply, but unfortunately Calibre is far away from being useful in Highlighting Text and Exporting them.

I tried it and the only way is to mark text and copy them to clipboard. Thats really not the way I want to read my text and jump from one application to another.

I hope so much, that Drawboard gets new features and supports ePub and export-functions. According to Drawboards User-Hub both topics are "Under Review" (https://drawboard.uservoice.com/forums/251835-features).

Today I searched for apps and found four possible apps on MacOS. That's weird. I'm really not an Apple-Fan (really not) but they got those apps. And you can choose the best one for you. I would be happy if there is only one App for Windows or Windows Tablet that support that features.

I'm going to use Citavi for the next time. It's much more powerful and therefore a bit slow on Surface 3 but It's the only possible way to get a user-friendly, reading and highlight-experience on Surface 3 at the moment.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

http://ebooks.stackexchange.com/questions/132/are-there-any-wysiwyg-editors-for-epub-books  some more capable, and less capable but perhaps easier applications to do what you want - and quite a few of those projects take note of user suggestions so   jump in =]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm late with my answer, sorry for this. But this is really not what I'm looking for. I don't need an editor for epubs. I need a software especially for the Surface 3 for reading, marking and highlighting. Drawboard is the best one atm and hopefully will be better in the future. Nevertheless  Windows 10 on Surface 3 has a long way to go to become a usefull operating system as a Laptop, a Tablet and a Stylus Device.

But thanks, for your answer and your effort.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You seem to be limiting your search for an application that fits your needs from the curated Store alone; you do know you can install any (windows or linux) software you want on a surface 3/pro 3 don't you? I'd venture to say that if the specific feature you want in an epub reader does not exist out there  it is hardly a reflection on the surface 3's usability ^^

There are many projects out there, with a fair amount of participation by their users - if you fail to find the exact feature you want in any of the currently available, probably hundreds of epub readers out there, you could try to suggest the features you want with some of these projects. Or even suggest them to the team behind your current favorite Drawboard from the Store.

If your aim is to, in a single copy and paste,  transplant all your highlighted text into a new document, this is an option I cannot find in the readers I use today either; for this you need to firstly convert your epub into a document usable in Word for example and then;

http://blogs.technet.com/b/hub/archive/2011/02/24/copy-all-highlighted-text-in-your-word-document.aspx

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am there with ya. I have pretty extreme buyers remorse after getting my surface. I got the keyboard, pen, dongle on the TV with 64GB of storage and it is almost useless when it comes to doing a lot of things.

Notes are ok, Drawboard is pretty great, but for everything else, it has been a nightmare.

The absolute worst is that I cannot even browse the web with it. The CPU spikes, memory fills up and it is just slow as hell. Even OneDrive, which used to be great when it would allow for a complete list of files with a check for available online vs offline only, is broken with Win 10. It is almost like the device gets worse and worse every day. I now have to turn WiFi off when it sleeps to save battery, but then it doesn't always automatically connect. They keyboard sometimes disappears and needs to be detached/reattached and I still have that stupid "power connected, battery not charging" issue. I never had that on any device ever. Not a laptop, tablet, or phone. Now every time I plug it in, I have to check to make sure it is charging properly.

I have a Samsung tablet and went back to that for pretty much everything. I use the surface to check email in Outlook, and I use Word and Excel.

The part that ticks me off the most is that they are supposed to be using this as their flagship product. It is pushed on the NFL and all over television, huge marketing campaigns, and they are screwing it up. I had faith that Microsoft would focus on the issues because of the visibility, but it seems they already moved on. I am sure with the Surface 4, they will talk about how great it is in comparison and leave the Surface 3 folk out to dry.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi puffthefish,

thanks for your reply. It's good (or not) to hear, that someone else got the same issues. 

I recognized, that browsing with Chrome (or Iron in my case) is OK an my surface. I installed it 2 days ago and it seems to be lightweight and zoomable. It hast a good starttime and somewhat enough apps.

A realy nice software is EpicPen. It is an open source tool. Feel free to google it and try it. It is in my opinon a good tool for a tablet/stylus windows-device. But it is unbelievable, that this tools are not publish and supported by Microsoft.

It seems I will leave OneNote, because Microsoft seems to plan to force die ON-users to use their cloud-services. Maybe there is any other free tool to use and has a stylus support.

I also recognized my battery is empty if I dont turn off wifi. This is not a main-issue for me, but it fits to my overall view on this device.

I cant tell that I have the same keyboard-problems. My keyboards works fine and is a good piece of hardware but I got those "battery not charging"-issues with my dockingstation. 

I hope you are not right with your forethoughts about the further support of Surface 3, but atm nobody talks about Surface 2, so maybe you are right =(.

In the end I hope Windows 10 will be a good and usable OS and let me forget those problems.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That was odd, I posted and it disappeared.

To paraphrase what I said before:

That epic pen app is pretty great. Thanks for the suggestion, it inspired me to have another look at what I can do with the Surface and between Epic Pen and the wireless display adapter adapterI can leverage the Surface for presentations. So I reconfigured the Surface for a work tool, put on Telnet, Remote Desktop, VPN and FTP clients. I installed Fing and a Wifi scanner. I already have a USB to Serial adapter, now I picked up USB to Ethernet and it looks like this might become a pretty decent tool for work.

Maybe there is hope after all

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi puffthefish,

good to hear. I already believe, that in the end this device is good, but it is released to early.

Try another great App : Microsoft Journal. It seems to be preinstalled since Windows XP and I never recognized it.

Journal is a lightweight OneNote and could maybe help me to leave OneNote.

Try it =)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated December 30, 2023 Views 457 Applies to: