Touchpad not working on Surface Book

So for the last couple weeks my touch pad has not been responsive at all. My keyboard still works fine, and I haven't had a spill or anything of any kind that might imply some kind of hardware damage. I literally just opened my surface one day and the touchpad was completely unresponsive. 

I've run the troubleshooter multiple times to no avail. As of late I've been using a wireless mouse and/or the touch screen but I'd really like to try and get the touchpad to work again, especially because I have no idea what caused this.

It might be interesting to note that when I got to the Device Manager and click on the "mouse and other pointers" tab, it does not show the touchpad. There are three different "HID-Complian Mouse options" (even though I only have one connected) but no touchpad option. 

Any help is appreciated. I love my surface but I don't have the money to buy I'm a college student and I don't have the money to buy a new one. We bought this laptop thinking it would last me all four years and I haven't even hit the two year mark with it so I would really love to try and get it working :(

Hello ChristinaCarty,

We appreciate your time on raising this concern to us.  For us to better assist you, please answer our few questions below:

1. What is the type or model of your Surface Book?

Here's how you can check it:

• On search bar type dxdiag.

• Under System, check for System Model.

2. What was the last thing you’d done before the issue happened?

3. Have you installed any applications/updates before the issue occur?

4. Are you getting any error message?

For the meantime, please do the following basic trouble shooting steps below:

Restart your Surface:

• Go to Windows > Power > Restart

Run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit.

• Go to Surface Diagnostic Toolkit  select Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro then follow onscreen instructions.SDT can often fix most software and driver issues. This tool will ensure that you have the latest driver and firmware updates on the Surface and also check for software issues that may be affecting the device's performance. After running the tool, perform a forced shutdown by pressing the power button for 10 seconds or until the screen goes off. When you restart the Surface, the updates will be applied and the software will be loaded properly.

Force the device to shut down and restart

• Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.

• The Surface may boot to UEFI. This is normal, please exit UEFI.

• You can go check Force a shut down and restart your Surface for your reference. Performing a Forced Shutdown is like removing the battery from a laptop or unplugging a desktop PC. It resets the hardware and clears all the cache and memory for your hardware.

Reset your Surface.

• Go toFresh Start and follow onscreen instructions.

• Go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery.

• Under Fresh Start, select Additional info > Get Started. 

You will not lose any files or personal information.  However, you will need to reinstall desktop programs. Fresh Start also ensures you has all available updates once complete and if there is an issue with Windows itself, the issue may still occur after a reset.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted of the outcome.

Regards

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response.

I tried all of the general troubleshooting options you mentioned and none of them were successful.

Under System Model it just says "Surface Book". The BIOS is 91.2327.769 if that's helpful.

I truly think it is something to do with the driver. Is there any way for me to uninstall and then redownload the Windows touchpad driver?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your time on keeping us updated of the outcome.  Yes we can uninstall and reinstall the Touchpad driver.

Let us try to Disable and Enable the Touchpad diver first, here’s how:
  • On search bar type Device Manager.
  • Tap the arrow down under Human Interface
  • Select and double click HD-complaint touch pad (small box will pop up).
  • Tap Driver and click Disable Device
  • Restart your device >> Go to Start Windows Logo > Click Power Icon>Restart.

If that will not work, Uninstall and Reinstall the driver, here’s how:
  • On search bar type Device Manager.
  • Tap the arrow down under Human Interface
  • Select and double click HD-complaint touch pad (small box will pop up).
  • Tap Driver and click Uninstall Device "But please do not put any check mark to completely uninstall"
  • Restart your device >> Go to Start Windows Logo > Click Power Icon>Restart.

Note: Once you restart the device Touch Pad device will be automatically Enable and Reinstall.

Hope this helps, keep us posted of the outcome.

Thank you

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 10, 2020 Views 1,765 Applies to: