Surface type cover won't charge slim pen

I have a Surface Pro 8 as well as the signature type cover and the slim pen 2. A few days ago, I noticed that my pen is no longer working or charging (white LED does not light up when inserting into the type cover charging station). However, when I tried charging my pen on the surface + type cover of a colleague, the LED lit up. This probably indicates that my type cover is unable to charge my pen. How do I fix this issue?

Hello Marcel,

Thank you so much for posting in Microsoft Community.

I appreciate you raising this concern to us, and I understand that you’re having trouble charging your Surface Slim Pen 2. You got me here; we'll definitely sort this issue together.

Initially, I wanted to share an information that the keyboard you are using is a Surface Pro Signature Keyboard (Buy Surface Pro Signature Keyboard - Cover with Backlit Keys | Microsoft Store) where it is compatible to Surface Pro 8 and where you can charge your Surface Slim Pen 2. On the other hand, the one you mentioned Surface Pro Signature Type Cover is a different variant and is not compatible with your Surface Pro 8 (Surface Pro Signature Type Cover - Microsoft Store). Thus, I am expecting you are referring to the Surface Pro Signature Keyboard.

Going back to the issue, since you were able to try charging your Slim Pen 2 to a different keyboard, possible that the problem is your Surface Pro Signature Keyboard. Thus, here are some troubleshooting steps you may try to fix the issue:

1. Check for updates: Ensure that your Surface Pro 8 is up to date with the latest software updates. To check for updates, select Start > Settings > Windows Updates > Check for updates. Install any available updates and keep your accessory connected until the update finishes. Restart device after.

2. Try to detach the keyboard and attach it after. Restart device once again.

3. Check the charging port: Ensure that the charging port on your Surface Pro 8 is clean and free of debris. If there is any dirt or debris, use a soft-bristled brush to clean it.

4. You may also try attaching your Surface Pro Signature Keyboard to your friend's Surface device and try to charge the Pen. See if the issue persists.

5. Download drivers and firmware for your Surface Pro 8: Download Surface Pro 8 Drivers and Firmware. from Official Microsoft Download Center

Please let me know how it goes and hopefully it helps!

Best regards,

Rolando S.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Rolando,

I am sorry for the confusion, I thought both term referred to the same product. I have the Surface Pro Signature keyboard (which should be able to charge my pen). I tried attatching my keyboard to my colleague's surface 8 pro, but that did not change anything about the problem. I have the steps you suggested, but they did not work either. Any help would be much appreciated

Kind regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Marcel,

Thank you so much for your response and I appreciate all the patience and effort you put into this. Since you were able to do all those steps and the issue persist to happen, I suggest contacting our live support to ask for further options and assistance regarding on this matter. To reach them, see steps below:

1. Go to Contact Us - Microsoft Support

2. Choose how you would like to get support for your Surface device.

3. Type in the problem you need help with.

4. Look at any available solutions offered and select Contact Support.

Here is a link you can check to know a detailed guide in reaching our live support: How to get Phone and Chat Support (for Surface Home/Consumer - Microsoft Community

I wish you all the best and hoping you'll get a resolution there. 

Regards, 

Rolando S. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2024 Views 89 Applies to: