Surface Slim Pen discharges quickly on surface pro 8

I have a new surface pro 8 with the surface slim pen and surface pro signature keyboard. The pen charges fine when in the charging cradle on the keyboard and the surface pro is turned on, however once the surface pro is turned off (say overnight), the pen will have discharged to almost no charge. The question is, how long should the 100% charge pen hold charge?

Hi BC_031,

Thank you for reaching Microsoft Community. I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having on your Surface Slim Pen. We'll work together to find out the what's causing this issue.

I would like to confirm first if the pen that you have is the Surface Slim Pen (1st version) or the Surface Slim Pen 2? See: Identify your Surface Pen and features (microsoft.com).

Based on Surface battery testing and estimated performance (microsoft.com), the Surface Slim Pen should have up to 15 hours of battery life based on typical Surface device usage. Testing conducted by Microsoft in August 2021 using preproduction Surface Slim Pen 2 and Surface Pro 8 units and software using automated equipment. Testing consisted of Surface Slim Pen 2 directly in contact with the screen and consisted of inking and hovering with default settings. Battery life varies significantly with settings, usage and other factors.

Yes, the pen wont be charged if the host device is off. When you turn the Surface Pro 8 off, how much battery does the pen had? Please note these some details also regarding with the charging behavior of the pen:

If the host device battery is more than 30%, the pen will charge to 75%.

If the host device battery is between 10% to 30%, the pen will charge to 10%.

If the host device battery is equal or less than 10%, the pen will not charge.

If the host device is on hibernate or off, the pen will not charge.

If the host device is plugged in and battery is above 0%, pen will charge to 100%.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Marrion

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Marrion. Its a surface slim pen 2.

The discharge happens overnight (so I am not using the pen). I leave the pen on the charging cradle on the keyboard throughout the day and overnight (and its 100% charged at the end of the day). I leave the surface pro plugged in to the dock, but it is shutdown. Then in the morning when I fire up the surface pro the pen will have dropped to about 10-20%.

I suspect it might be faulty.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi BC_031,

Thank you for the response and for the added details. For this case, i would suggest having the pen replaced. For replacement, please contact our live support for options available and for further assistance. You may contact them through the numbers listed in Global Customer Service phone numbers (microsoft.com) under For Business users. This works with Home users also, just select Surface then Home as a type of user in the IVR prompt. You may also reach them through this page: Contact Us - Microsoft Support and use the details or entries given here: I need to talk to tech support - Microsoft Community. Please note: For USA region, they are available from 6:00AM to 10:00PM Pacific Standard Time.

Kind regards,

Marrion

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 30, 2024 Views 624 Applies to: